Aa
A
A
A
Close
951477 tn?1293068687

Time for Solids!

Hi everyone,
My son is 5 1/2 months old and I am planning to introduce his first solids (rice cereal) in 2wks.
I am a first time mom and have been exclsively breastfeeding.

I heard you can make the rice cereal by adding breast milk for preparation. Is that correct? I have never pumped so I don't know if I can express enough to make the cereal. If I am not able to, do I mix the cereal with water Or use formula?
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
803938 tn?1403748253
You can pump with a hand pump. All you need at first 1 oz of milk, which should be fairly to pump. Or you can use formula.
Helpful - 0
1173196 tn?1292916490
I second that. Good Luck!
Helpful - 0
621803 tn?1302888341
A lot of times when I'm making rice cereal I've actually just hand expressed straight into the bowl. Its a little harder now that Braeden is eating a slightly larger quantities, but in the beginning that was honestly easiest for me.
Helpful - 0
yes I would hand pump in the bowl too! Right now the baby can not move foods from the front to the back of thier mouth and it is for training so they do not need alot of food at this stage so you should be bale to.

I would not give formula at all, as it has higher iron which can casue illness easier.

Also you can take instant rice and out it in a food proccesor, I got mine for $9 at wlamart 13 years ago for my first, a little one, well I put the dry rice in it and then it turns to shiny flakes and just add my milk to that. I use organic rice too. You will only need to make a tablespoon or two of cereal at first till the baby gets the hang if it.
Helpful - 0
951477 tn?1293068687
Thank you for your comments ladies... I guess I'll hand express for the first few weeks after I start as that sounds like the easy way to go.

rickey2010... do I have to cook the rice first and then run it in the food processor? wouldn't the raw rice make him sick? Sorry I am just clueless..
Helpful - 0
Oh you do not give him raw rice! If you use the instant then you just add your milk and let it sit til it gets soft, instant rice has already been partially cooked. Now you just mix up a 1/2 cup of rice and put it in a jar to spoon out of as needed. If you use plain rice you use the processor and keep it in a jar then use purified water to cook it then add your milk.

best of luck
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.