Two Questions

how many of you breast feed your baby faithfully every 2-3hours even if baby is sleeping and you have to wake her/him up to feed?

And how long is your baby feeding at his/her age?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I never had to wake my little one up she was always ready for it but I did feed her every two to three hours. I would say around four months or so she started getting really efficient at getting the milk out and would feed for around 10 minutes a side. She is now 14 months and is down to 3 sessions a day and is usually completely done in 10 minutes usually less.
Helpful - 0
Also at night it was more like every 3 to 4 hours in the beginning. Then after a few months it dropped to 2 feedings, then one. And around 1 year old we dropped the night feedings altogether.  Which is late I believe but it was what worked for us.
Helpful - 0
As long as baby is steadily gaining weight, theres no need to wake them up to feed. My LO is 3.5 months and is pretty much self scheduled at 3 hours. Overnight he sometimes sleeps 7-8 hours. He usually feeds for about 20 minutes total on one side.
Helpful - 0
im just worried because my little one is only eating for 10 mins on one side then she gets fussy and shes 5 weeks and last night she slept 5 hours in between feedings and I had to wake her at that point. this just started easter weekend
Helpful - 0
I was on demand - sometimes it was every 3 hrs, sometimes it was 45 minutes!  I woke the baby maybe the first two weeks of their life if they slept longer stretches.  That was my pediatrician's recommendation.  Once the baby reached their birth weight I'd let them sleep.  Of course - only one of three kids went on a long stretch just once (6 hrs) and that was it.  My kids still woke through the night for a while. Thankfully they were up/fed/ and back down.
Helpful - 0
I only feed on demand. My daughter is three wks old today and she has slept 4-6hrs up and feeds then back to sleep for another 4-6hrs and she's done this since birth (all my babies have been good sleepers) during the day she usually eats every 2-4hrs. She was born 8lbs 6.5oz and is now 9lbs and the doctor said she's doing fantastic. I've never believed in waking a baby and forcing them to eat unless there's a medical reason that requires it.
Helpful - 0
I had to wake my daughter up otherwise she would sleep through the night since birth. I kept the 2 to 3 hour regime until we hit 2 weeks old. Then I let her go longer like up to 4 to 5 hours at night only without a feeding.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community