A
A
A
Close
Breastfeeding Community
1.66k Members
203342 tn?1328737207

Vitamin D for BF babies?

My daughter and I were reading one of her baby magazines and read that a baby who is excusively breastfed should get 400 IU of Vitamin D a day. If the baby gets formula too they said to discuss with your doctor how much Vitamin D to give.

Her doctor never said anything like this to her during his appointments and she knew she was exclusively breastfeeding. He's not due back again till his 4 month check up and that's more than a month away.

Should we call the clinic and ask about this?
4 Responses
171768 tn?1324230099
especially since it's the summer, he should be fine. Even just a few minutes of sun provides enough vitamin d.
My first was prescribed them, although I don't remember exactly when. I don't think it was before 4 months. My second didn't actually start taking it until after 6 months.

There's actually differing views on whether or not it's even necessary. The AAP does recommend it, although I think it's because they need to make general recommendations for all babies. A baby living in a far northern climate in the winter who never gets sun exposure would need it. Conversely, the AAP could never recommend having a baby out in the sun for short periods of time without sunscreen because a baby who lived in southern texas who got that kind of exposure would burn.
287071 tn?1365192513
Our dr recommends 400IU of vitamin D for my daughter who is exclusively breast fed.  I don't think the same is true for babies who are given formula but not sure.  Our dr said that there has been research that has shown that some breast fed babies can be vitamin D deficient.  I say if you have questions - that's what the dr is there for!
203342 tn?1328737207
Thank you all so much. We will ask the doctor about it at his next appointment.
377493 tn?1356502149
Being that I live in Canada, Ryder was put on it at birth.  He was exclusively breast fed until just after 4 months at which time he was switched to formula.  I was surprised when his pediatrician had us continue with it saying that is the new recommended guidelines.  I do know much depends on where you live...here is is highly recommended.  
Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.