Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Weaning Crisis

I have a six week old baby girl whom I have breast fed since birth.  I have supplemented a few times with formula to help transition, but I thought I'd have more time to make the switch.  Yesterday at a follow up appointment, my dr diagnosed me with hypertension and said I immediately had to begin high BP meds.  The pediatrician insisted that I could not take those meds and breast feed.  My baby is really having a hard time taking her bottle, cries all the time, and is constantly nuzzling my chest.  I feel like I'm being cruel, but I have to take my meds.  How can I make this transition easier for us both?
2 Responses
4484425 tn?1384228334
I would have other people try offering the bottle and see if she takes it from them. What's most important is trying to keep it a positive experience.  Sometimes with my daughter she has to be almost asleep to except a bottle. Are there no BP meds that are breastfeeding safe? Is there a way to try and control your BP through diet and exercise?
134578 tn?1614729226
Call La Leche League and ask for advice.  You might even be able to get some emergency breast milk to mix into the formula, to make the transition easier.  Does the doctor prohibit you using your own milk even to mix in with formula, to help the flavor?

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.