Aa
A
A
A
Close
Breastfeeding Community
1.66k Members

another milk supply question

i have been taking laction herbs and fenugreek and it has helped my supply go from getting an ounce total to 3 ounces per pumping session.  i see some of you get 8oz and i wonder if i will ever get that much?  i would love to have extra to freeze but i cant seem to stay more than a few feedings ahead.  im still trying to get her to latch but its not going to happen more than a minute at this time.

i dont have time to pump more often at this point, i have been continuing longer after milk stops.  any ideas?
4 Responses
171768 tn?1324233699
How long are you pumping? And how often? I know you don't have time to pump more, but having that info may help us figure out if it would be possible.

Have you ever tried power pumping? You've nursed, so you know very well the cluster feeds that occur during growth spurts that boosts supply. When you pump, you don't get those cluster feeds. So, unless you artificially emulate them, you might not get the desired increase. Make sense? There are a few ways to do this, even if you are very busy. You can take an hour a day for a few days where you pump 10 min, rest 10 min, pump 10 min, etc... For an hour. Even if you're not getting anything you are telling your body to make more. Others just take 2 days and leave the pump out and pump as often as possible, even if for only a few minutes. Even pumping longer during just 1 or 2 sessions a day for several days could make a difference. Just think back to those early weeks of nursing and how much time you spent nursing during those growth spurts. Also, make sure to pump during the night if you aren't already.
223237 tn?1302191991
Have you thought about trying a manual pump so you can be more flexible in your pumping routine?  You can take the pump with you when you are sitting on the floor playing with Addy or even in the car.  Good luck!
162279 tn?1270604959
What pump do you have? My ped told me the Medela Pump In Style is THE best pump available and will get the maximum amount of milk out.

Have you tried the "supplemental feeding" system. My baby won't stay latch on unless he is getting something. So, at the hospital they gave me this little tube I attach to my breast and goes in his mouth...your fill a bottle with "breast or formula milk" but the tube on your bube and into his mouth and voila...he is drinking and stimulating your breast at the same time!
Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365196113
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.