breast soreness

So I had my son just over a week ago and I chose to breastfeed. Ive tried multiple creams and ice packs and hot towels and just about everything :( there is a lot of tenderness when he latches on...it gets better as he feeds but the initial latch and first 5 to 10 minutes of sucking are brutal. Is there any product that helped any of you?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Probably he isn't latching on right.  breastfeed shouldn't hurt.try a cabbage leave on your breast a cold one. It bring instant relieve. I know it sounds wierd but it works.  or breast pumping?
Helpful - 0
From my experience that is normal. I experienced exactly what you're describing for the first 6 weeks. Once my nipples got sore it took a long time for them to heal. I used lanolin and really focused on a good latch. My good news is that after 6 weeks breastfeeding was pain free. A few times she had a bad latch and my nipples got sore again, but they healed faster than 6 weeks! She's 21 months now and still breastfeeding and I'm so glad I stuck with it. It will get better!
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
That's not normal, what is happening is your baby is latching shallow, then dragging your nipple back into his mouth. The pain is from your nipple rubbing against the roof his mouth. Tickle your baby's upper lip with your nipple, wait until he opens wide and then bring him in quick and close. You can also shape your breast in the direction of his mouth to help him get a deeper latch. If you have cracks or scabs, they may need an antibiotic ointment. I recommend that you make an appointment with a lactation consultant,  they are covered by insurance.
Helpful - 0
Its normal to have a little pain when you first match the baby on. But if it last longer than the first minute or so you might need to adjust the latch. And also when you finish nursing or pumping express a little breastmilk and rub it around your nipple and let it air dry. Sounds weird but it will make a big difference. Don't give up Mama! It will get better. My son is now 5 weeks old and things are soooo much better since we've improved his latch.
Helpful - 0
I had the same problem and even expeirenced a cracked nipple. The one thing no one told me was to buy a nipple shield. Its intended for an inverted nipple or latching problems but no one tells you it that it will really help you not get sore nipples. Also if you use one then you will not really need the lanolin after a week or so of using the nipple shield. As for helping your soreness right now, use the Madela brand nipple ointment it's not as gummy and sticky to apply as the Lansinoh brand which really hurts when applying to tender nipples.
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for all the input...im switching up his positions and ill definitely look into cabbage leaves and nipple sheilds. At this point im willing to try anything
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community