breastfeeding and meds

I ond my daughter on April 24th. I have been breastfeeding without a problem. She latches on great and I love it.  My doctor put me on norco after I had my tubal. They know I'm breastfeeding but I'm still worried its going to hurt her. How long will it stay in my milk after I take one? Am I panicking for no reason?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I believe that's one of the safe pain meds you can take.  As long as you take it as directed by the dr things should be fine.  Just watch your baby, if you notice more irritability, excessive sleepiness, etc. Then discontinue the meds immediately.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Strange, I cannot find Norco in Thomas W. Hales' Medications and Mothers' Milk. Is there another trade name? I was trying to look up pediatric concerns for you.
Helpful - 0
It's also hydrocodine 10 mg and tylenol 5 mg
Helpful - 0
It's just like Vicodin just a little stronger
Helpful - 0
Norco is completely safe. I take it regularly for a back injury. Norco is what they give you after delivery at the hospital. Totally safe with breast feeding. I have been taking it for the last 15 months while I've nursed my daughter. Both her pediatrician and my OB and pain specialist know about it and agree its the safest pain med to take while nursing
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the comments. My ob and Sophia's doctor both agreed it was okay but it makes me feel better to have someone else's opinion. This is my third and last baby but the only one I have breastfed.
Helpful - 0
No problem :). My daughter is very healthy and happy. She is 22lbs 10oz at 15 months (50th percentile for height and weight) and above average verbally (she has 52 words and some 2 word sentences).
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community