Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

can I freeze milk while we have thrush?

Does anyone know if I can still freeze milk while we have thrush?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had to throw a lot out when I realized that is what I had (my son never got it).  It was heartbreaking.  You can pump and feed right away, but don't freeze.  It stinks!

Trying to treat breast yeast was awful.  I was prescribed 2 weeks of diflucan and my son the nystatin 3 times a day!  It was awful...he hated it and I wasn't getting better after several days.  I called my lactation consultant and she recommended Gentian Violet.  It was gone completely in 3 days.  I've had it twice since then and both times the Gentian Violet got rid of it within 2 days.  I never put it in my son.  After his nighttime feeding I would put it on my nipples and go to sleep while it dried. Then I'd feed him in the morning.  He never showed signs of any thrush so it worked for us!  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
I agree, wait until the yeast is gone before storing. It's a painful thought, but pump and dump. :( *You and the baby will both have to be treated for thrush.
Helpful - 0
171768 tn?1324230099
I read on the Dr Sears site that you should not.
Helpful - 0
1330108 tn?1333677304
I do not know. I would think no but I am not positive. You may want to ask a lactation consultant or speak with someone at your local le leche league
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.