can i smoke and breastfeed?

Hello everyone. I have a question. So ive had seizures since i was 3 years old.and i have heart problems which give me bad anxiety attacks. My doctors have gaving me xanax and other medications to help.but i dont like taking medication. I dont want to be a pill popping junky.so i started Smoking weed to keep me relaxed and it stops the anxiety attacks. But when i found out im pregnant i stopped smoking at 6 weeks pregnant. Im 30 weeks now and i haven't smoked at all.itd been hard because i wont take my meds either Because i dont want yo drug my baby at all.but when i have her i was wondering can i smoke week and breastfeed?  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Uhm no. I would think not. If its illegal to smoke around a child I'm sure you can't smoke then feed one since that's going directly to them. Same concept as drinking alcohol I would think.
Helpful - 0
I was a big smoker before i got pregnant and stopped as soon as i found out... im gonna wait till after i breastfeed though what you consume baby is getting weather bub is in you or through your milk  
Helpful - 0
Please don't.
Helpful - 0
An important phase of brain development occurs in the first month of life, and marijuana could alter the brain development of your newborn.
A baby exposed to marijuana through breast milk may appear sedated and unable to suck well.
One 1990 study associated marijuana exposure through breast milk in a baby's first month of life with diminished motor ldevelopment at age 12 months.  

Ask yourself is it worth taking the risk??
Helpful - 0
Sounds like a question you should be asking to the specialist who treats your seizures. You'll get a lot of opinions and knee jerk reactions here, maybe some outdated or minor study outcomes, but you're not going to find anyone here who's got peer reviewed, current, accurate scientific data to share with you.
I wish you luck. Chronic seizure disorders can be terrifying and dangerous as I'm sure you know better than I do. As a nurse I'm always looking for the best way to treat an issue with the fewest and least damaging side effects. If treating with medical marijuana has been effective for you thus far it's certainly worth looking into after your baby is born - even if it doesn't end up being the best option.
Helpful - 0
Thank you geekmom1213
Helpful - 0
Ill do.anything fot my baby.i have two sons already and i will do anything for them.ive never smoked around them! Never! I didnt smoke at all when i had them.im a new smoker. Only because of my health problems.i haven't smoked since i founded out about my little girl. I asked because i knoe a woman can drink and breastfeed so i was curious to know if u can smoke and breastfeed.
Helpful - 0
My friend who breastfed said weed didnt go through like alcohol but she also pumped in excess so that if she wanted to drink or smoke she'd have enough to last until it was out of her breasts. I smoked lightly all the way up until 6 weeks before my due date just in case they test at birth, but I plan on staying clean while breastfeeding up til about 6 months when I start solids just so I don't have to worry at babys doctors appointments. I suggest trying not to unless you experience medical issues, then try to get donor milk or cave and do formula so you can smoke and keep your health up.
Helpful - 0
And there have been studies showing there is no correlation between marijuana and lower motor or cognitive skills in children whose mothers smoked weed while pregnant, so I don't see how breastfeeding would be any different. Healthwise, the negative hype is way less than accurate. Legally though, it's safer to abstain.
Helpful - 0
Maybe you should pump a good suply of milk before you start smoking people may say I'm crazy but I had a premature baby and couldn't give her my milk I was able to give her downer milk you may think it's gross giving your baby another person's milk but it's tested and they make sure they keep health downer milk you can't give your baby your milk if you some sweetie trust me.♡
Helpful - 0
Y would u want to drug your baby? That goes for all drugs, not just pot!
Helpful - 0
Okay so for those that have such negative things to say about it.how about if i take the doctors way and take all these pills and drugs they give me and breastfeed!!!?? Call me crazy but xanax is for damn sure not okay for babies! The medication they giving me can hurt any baby!! But because its legal. I guess yall okay with that right!
Helpful - 0
I am & have been a heavy smoker for well over ten years to start! When I became pregnant I started smoking lightly maybe a barb Marley joint a day! But when I had my son I started back smoking maybe two a day! My son is now 8 months & I have been Exclusively breastfeeding him since day one! he Latched on without a problem! He came out very alert smiling the next day holding his head up &all he started cooing at two months he is Now speaking mama DADA he said maybe FIRST!  LOL he says hey,he is crawling learning to walking,he give me kisses I could go on &on about how people says how smart & happy he is & how he had been here before! So my advice is do what's natural for you because medical drugs DAMn show ain't natural! My BABY BOY IS HAPPY HEALTHY & HANDSOME! BLESSED
Helpful - 0
Thank you!  
Helpful - 0
Ignore the idiotic people who are gonna judge you for it - most of them think of weed as no different or no better than any other drug and are totally fine with spreading misinformation, shaming and chastising potsmokers without caring to know or research the amazing medicinal and therapeutic properties. They listen to outdated, biased studies that didn't factor in the mothers also partaking in other drugs as well. I totally believe marijuana is a million times safer than any pill that is perfectly legal. The side effects (or lackthereof) say it all!!(: don't let them make you feel bad!! They are ignorant. I would only worry because of the legal repurcussions, not at all because of any detriment to you or your child's health.
Helpful - 0
NP!I meant he says mama & knows who to direct it to when he's asking for me! He is every smart he plays peek a Boo with the sheets lol! & thank god he is laid back little man who only cries or whine when he ready to eat lol, I have NEVER experience a night or day with him CRYING! he eats &turn over &go back to sleep no rocking necessary lol & everyone says they wouldn't mind keeping him! Ok OK I'm done lol I just love my little man I am a first time mom & just found out I am with Child now.
Helpful - 0
Congratulations
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community