dairy intolerance

Hello.  I haven't been on this forum since I was nursing my first child.  I am now nursing my second.  She has a dairy intolerance.  She is very sensitive so my diet is very strict.  It is amazing how dairy can slip into so many things.  Anyone else ever have this problem?  Any suggestions for some quick easy recipes or a website that has one?  Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have never had this problem, but have heard of many that do.  Did your pediatrician or Lactation Consultant say your baby has dairy intolerance?  If so, the LC should have provided you with a list of foods/drinks to avoid.  You are right, there are lots of foods that contain hidden dairy.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
I've found that in a lot of recipes, soy milk can be substituted for dairy.  Also, you can find dairy free soy cheese in health food stores that are not half bad.  Especially when combined with lots of pizza toppings.  My son does not like the milk proteins in dairy products, so Lactaid milk is not an option for us, but may be for you.  I am hoping he outgrows this soon.  He is so sensitive that I can tell when I have eaten too many Cheezits.  
Helpful - 0
Coconut cream can also be used to replace dairy - in powder or canned form.  Just check the ingredients becuase some 'coconut creams' are not pure and still have dairy added.

My baby seems to be dairy intollerant if she eats it, but at least my drinking / eating some dairy doesn't seem to be a big problem.
Helpful - 0
how do yall know if your baby is dairy intolerant when you ingest dairy? Our 3 week old seems to spit up frequently (not sure if she spits up more than normal or not) but has haad 4 episodes of actual vomiting - projectile - sooo much comes out it breaks my heart! but my husband realized that those nights she has done that (twice was associated with hiccups) i had eaten cereal with lots of milk before bed.. could that be a factor? thanks so much!
Helpful - 0
Cut out dairy from your diet for a few days.  Some sources say it may take up to two weeks before you notice a difference, but I noticed it later that same day.  
Helpful - 0
Thank you everybody for your suggestions.  I do eat a lot of soy based products.  Unfortunately a lot of the soy cheeses still have milk in them and I can't even have the slightest bit of dairy. No lactaid, whey or casein either.  I didn't know if someone maybe knew a site with actual recipes.  I've looked at vegan recipes but the problem there is that is also a diet with no meat.  I guess I will have to get creative.
PamelaBee-Yes, her pediatrician confirmed her dairy intolerance.  I know what I can and can't eat I just don't know how to make a good meal with such a limitation with what I can use:(
BNY807-We figured it out because she projectile vomited everything she ate after every feeding.  Her Dr. also found blood in her stool when we brought a stool sample in.  If you are concerned I would talk to your pediatrician/dr. about it.  Cutting out dairy made an immediate difference with her vomiting but she still has blood in her stool.  Her pediatrician said the blood could take 4-6 weeks to go away.
Helpful - 0
You can try taking recipes and replacing milk with soymilk. My daughter is lactose intolerant and can't drink soy milk alone, but is fine when I cook with it. I've made eggs, french toast, and pancakes and she loves it. No problems with any reaction.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community