So I had my baby on monday an have been trying to bf. My left nipple is extremely sore an she wont latch properly on that one. She latches an it hurts so bad I cant stand it. An so shes only been using the right which is now slightly swollen an my milk has not came in yet an iv noticed she wants to constantly nurse which is making me hurt more. An its like shes not getting enough an isnt satisfied an on top of that she barely has had a wet diaper an only a few poop diapers.  I need advice what should I do?? Also I gave her a formula bottle cuz I feel like im stsrving her..I dont kno!!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I lived on lanolin when my kids were first born. I also had some gel nursing pads that can be kept in the fridge and they were amazing. I only had to use them in the beginning.  I had a nurse in the hospital tell me that nursing is, "toe curling pain".  That's not something I like to share but none the less it is what was said to me.  It does get better - reach out for help/support on here and you'll find it.  

When nursing your baby be calm and visualize that you are able to nourish your baby.  Think happy thoughts and keep in mind that it won't always be like this! You'll develop patterns/habits and so will your baby.  Also - check with your hospital or pediatrician to see if there is a lactation consultant that might be able to help!

Stay positive!
Helpful - 0
My babe is now 8 days old and the first 4 we're seriously terrible. She lost a total of almost a pound by her first ped appointment and my milk seemed to take awhile to come in as well. I cried so much and contemplated switching to formula a couple of times. I know 4 days seems like nothing but I'm sure you can agree, when your LO seems to be so hungry and you can't help her, it feels like eternity. I've now been bf"ing her with milk for the last 4 days and she gained 5 oz since so the ped is thrilled as are we. Things are so much better ( not that things can't change of course but if things continue the way they are now, it's really not bad).
Helpful - 0
I had the same problem with my first, put a cabbage in the fridge and put the leaves in your bra, I know it sounds weird but my mother told me to do ut and oh boy the relief!! Also this time around I did some research and bought nipple shields, its like a silicone nipple protector (looks like a bottle teat) nut its ment to help with sore cracked nipples weather your feeding or pumping!
Helpful - 0
I had the same problem, except she didn't get wet diapers because she actually wasn't getting enough.  I would put lanolin and saran wrap on my nipples, it helped.  I also got these aloe cooling gel pads that stuck to your nipples, they were awesome
Helpful - 0
Newborns should have as many wet diapers a day as they are old so if she's two days old she should have two wet diapers that day. To help with the nipple pain you can put lanolin on before and after nursing or coconut oil. They have these breast gel pads that you can put in the fridge and then in your bra and they feel amazing on sore nipples. Also express a little milk and rub it on your nipples and let them air dry. In time your nipples will toughen up and it won't hurt anymore. As for her wanting to eat constantly that normal. Her tummy is so tiny and breast milk digests so fast that they need to eat frequently. All her tummy can hold at three days old is about 1oz at a time so I'm sure you aren't starving her. Just keep trying and it'll get easier, the pain will go away, and your milk will come in.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community