Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

how long did it take to stop hurting?

I'm 31 weeks pregnant & plan to bf. I heard it is painful for a while but then after a while it gets to the point where its comfortable. Does it hurt more to pump or to actually have baby latch on. Plz don't sugar coat it...I wanna know what I'm getting into.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
179530 tn?1368936603
Good point. Only normal hygiene should be practiced. We don't do any special cleaning or preparation anymore.
Helpful - 0
1346146 tn?1299360497
With my first the first two weeks were rough.  My hospital wasn't breastfeeding friendly at all.  My second maybe the first week.  My third about two weeks but I had some trouble with her latch because I had breast implants and her mouth was small.  I agree with the others if you are in severe pain its because something is wrong. If you get the latch down right you should have minimal discomfort.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
757137 tn?1347196453
There is one thing I should warn you about. I don't know if they are still giving this advice, but back when I had my babies they wee big on keeping your breast germ free and it seem to go beyond normal cleanliness. Their recommendations irritated my breasts so I ignored them and stuck with ordinary showering. No problems after that.
Helpful - 0
I hurt for the first 2 weeks.  I never saw,a lactation nurse in the hospital I don't think there was one available so I depended on this site to make sure I was latching on right.  My baby is 9 weeks and still breastfeeding.  Although the first two weeks were really rough and painful.  Good luck.!
Helpful - 0
757137 tn?1347196453
I can't answer for other women, but I never had a moment's pain and I breastfed four babies. Don't start off with negative expectations. Enjoy your pregnancy and the prospect of a unique. lovely baby.
Helpful - 0
134578 tn?1642048000
In my case, I couldn't even go braless (before pregnancy) without my nipples getting all sore and abraded from my shirt.  So it did hurt for a while.  I think I was at the 6th month before I realized I wasn't wincing when nursing any more.  I did like nursing, though, so we persevered.  It's not agony, just sometimes stings at first.

I've read that this could be related to thrush, but I don't think my son had thrush ever, and we did have the correct latch (all checked out by the lactation consultant).  So, if your nips are sensitive anyway, it might take you a while.
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
Breastfeeding should never "hurt" although there may be initial "soreness" for the first 10 days.

If breastfeeding hurts, there is usually a problem w/ latch or tongue tie (lingual or labial frenulum)

Learn as much as you can. Attend a class, watch someone else breastfeed and ask us as many questions as possible. We are excited to offer answers and support!

Congratulations on your pregnancy and your decision to breastfeed!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.