Aa
A
A
A
Close
Breastfeeding Community
1.66k Members

how to preserve

Could you please answer me how to preserve brest milk and for how long?
In the freezer or freeze.After taking from FREEZE should i boil or what.please say me?

2 Responses
171768 tn?1324233699
never boil your breastmilk. it will destroy a lot of its beneficial qualities.
In the fridge, you can keep it for 3 to 5 days. Everyone's milk is different, so you can sniff it to see if it's still good.
In the freezer- depends on the freezer. If it's part of a freezer/fridge combo that gets opened frequently, the rule is 3-6 months. If it's a chest freezer, 6-12 months.
It is also good at room temp for a few hours. Again, everyone's milk is different, and it depends on the room temperature.

Frozen breast milk- once it's defrosted, use within 24 hours. I found the best way to defrost it was to float the bag in a container of cool water in the fridge. If you're in a rush, you can run it under warm tap water or float it in a container of warm water.

Cold milk can be warmed in a container of warm water, or holding it under warm tap water. Do not microwave it. After it's warm/thawed, you can gently swirl it to mix the layers. You should not shake breastmilk.
280369 tn?1316705641
Breast milk can remain frozen for up to 6 months or can stay in the fridge up to 3 or 4 days. To thaw from freezer, I would immerse the bag in warm water. I don't think you should boil it (correct me if I'm wrong) and you should never microwave breast milk. Hope that helps somewhat.
Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365196113
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.