Breastfeeding Community

how to pump milk?

For already mommies or anyone who knows...my son is three weeks tomorrow and the first week or so i had to pump at least once a day since my son didnt drink enough and my breasts hurt a lot. Now my milk has settled down abd i dont need to pump but i would like to freeze more. How should i pump? Im worried my son wont have enough milk on his feeding if i pump now. But i really want to have some in tge freezer since winter is coming and i usually get sick easily then my baby can drink without veing exposed and all. Should i pump once a day on one breast while he drinks from the other? I dont want a a whole load of them but enough that if anything where to happen my son would still be able to eat and of course i plan on breastfeeding all the time....its really just for those special occasion. So whats a good way of doing this?
Bump
If you get sick it's fine to keep breast feeding as your body passes on your antibodies to the baby and will pass good immunities to him. I only really pumped in my first month for the same reason you stated but if you pump just a little every few hours you may be able to build up your supply. If you have a lactation consultant you can talk to they are a great help.
It's completely up to you. Since you don't want or need a lot I would do it maybe once or twice a day. During a time baby usually doesn't eat. Or you can do it on tge opposite breast that he isn't eating from.

There is a breastfeeding forum on med help go join the rest of us when you have you're baby.
Sorry forgot you had mentioned you had your baby already.
Pump only after he feeds you may not pump as much at first but your breasts will produce more after a week or so because you are demanding them to make more. If you have anymore questions message me anytime.
Thanks ladies. Ill try to do it once a day on opposite breast he feeds on. Its good to know about the antibodies though. So i wont make my baby sick from breastfeeding?
No. Your milk fights sickness. Even if you were sick more than likely you were already sick and the symptoms just hit. As you are sick your body produces antibodies to fight sickness and by the time you realize you've been sick your baby has been receiving those same antibodies to fight the germs. Your milk is nature's best medicine.
Amy WeekleyWed March 14th, 2007Breastmilk is, without a doubt, the perfect infant nutrition. But its usefulness is not limited to babies. People of all ages can benefit from the healing properties of breastmilk. From cuts and scrapes to major illness and surgery, breastmilk can be used to boost immunities, fight infections, and soothe skin. Here are just a few of the ways that breastmilk can be used to soothe and heal.Diaper rashBreastmilk can heal a diaper rash as well as any rash cream on the market. Even better, there is no risk of allergic reaction to make the rash worse. Simply rub in a few drops of breastmilk on the affected area as often as needed, and allow to air-dry before putting a diaper back on.Dry, cracked nipplesNursing mothers often experience dry, cracked nipples, especially in the first few weeks of nursing. Lanolin is often recommended in this instance, but breastmilk works better. To heal and soothe, simply rub a drop or two of breastmilk into the nipple immediately after nursing and allow to air-dry.Sinus, ear, and eye infectionsIf you or your child has a sinus, ear, or eye infection, a few drops of breastmilk will work wonders in clearing it up. Breastmilk has natural antibodies which kill infection without the harmful side effects of synthetic antibiotics, and can be administered as often as necessary without risk of overdose.Makeup removalBreastmilk can be used in place of cold cream to remove makeup and soften skin. Simply rub onto skin and rinse clean.Eczema and acneSimply rub a few drops of breastmilk into the affected area and allow to air-dry. Repeat as often as necessary to soothe and heal. Breastmilk contains natural moisturizers that will keep skin supple, which speeds the healing process.Mosquito bites, cuts, and scrapesBreastmilk can help relieve the itch and heal bites faster and more naturally than commercial bite remedies. A few drops of breastmilk applied to a cut or scrape before bandaging can prevent infection and speed the healing process.Sore throatBreastmilk is wonderful for easing the pain of a sore throat. Babies can get relief every time they nurse, but for older children and adults, a cup of expressed breastmilk can have the same effect.Chemo patientsCancer patients undergoing chemotherapy treatment often have severe nausea after treatment. These patients can use breastmilk to calm their stomachs, help with digestion, and strengthen their weakened immune systems.Burn patientsBurn victims can use breastmilk to help heal and protect their skin. The fat in breastmilk is an excellent skin soother and softener, and the antibodies help prevent infection.Organ transplant patientsPatients who receive donor organs often use breastmilk to help fight infection after surgery. Organ donors can also benefit from the immunity-boosting properties of breastmilk while healing from their surgery.These are only a few of the miraculous healing benefits of breastmilk. Who knew that our bodies could produce a substance with so much power? Breastmilk truly is liquid magic. For more information on the wonders of breastmilk, see the websites at the end of this article.

Do mom’s vaccines protect her breastfed baby?

AUGUST 1, 2011. Posted in: MEDICATIONS & VACCINESMore Sharing ServicesBy Kelly Bonyata, IBCLCMany moms wonder whether their babies will be protected from any illness that mom has been immunized against as long as breastfeeding continues. Breastfeeding will enhance baby’s response to immunizations that he receives, however, breastfeeding will not act as a substitute for immunization.The immunities that our bodies generate when we get an illness or receive a vaccination are IgG immunities. IgG is the major immunoglobulin circulating in the blood and is the type of antibody that provides long-term resistance to illnesses – the IgG antibodies ‘recognize’ germs that we’ve been exposed to previously so that they can be destroyed more quickly.IgG protection from mom primarily comes to her baby via the placenta prior to birth –this maternal IgG in baby’s system gradually disappears by 6-8 months postpartum. A child’s own IgG synthesis gradually increases until it reaches adult levels by 7-8 years of age [ref: Behrman: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 16th ed., Copyright © 2000 W. B. Saunders Company. p. 595]. The child continues to get some IgG protection from breastmilk for as long as nursing continues, but IgG does not enter the breastmilk in quantities high enough to “vaccinate” baby (though it’s certainly helpful).Immunities that babies receive from nursing are primarily IgA (IgG and other immunoglobulins are present in much lower quantities). IgA concentrates in body fluids such as tears, saliva, and the secretions of the respiratory and gastrointestinal tracts and has an important protective function.The many immune components in breastmilk can make a huge difference when it comes to keeping baby healthy. Even though baby does not receive enough of mom’s IgG immunities via breastmilk to qualify as an immunization against a particular illness, there are many other immunities (IgA, certain fatty acids, etc) in the breastmilk that are active against the same illnesses.As an example, what protection does baby get from the chicken pox (varicella) virus if mom had chicken pox as a child?First off, baby would not be expected to be immune to chicken pox, particularly after 6-8 months when placental immunity has faded away. However, other immune factors in breastmilk will give baby some protection from chicken pox. Per Dr. Jack Newman (inHow Breast Milk Protects Newborns), “Free fatty acids present in milk can damage the membranes of enveloped viruses, such as the chicken pox virus, which are packets of genetic material encased in protein shells.” The secretory IgA in breastmilk has also been shown to be active against the chicken pox virus in vitro. Case reports suggest that–as with other viral infections–breastfed babies who get chicken pox will often (but not always) get milder cases.

Additional Information

Breastfeeding and Vaccines @ Immune factors in human milk @  The Immune System and Primary Immune Deficiency Diseases from The Immune Deficiency Foundation Patient and Family Handbook For The Primary Immune Deficiency Diseases, Fourth EditionUnderstanding The Immune System from the National Cancer InstituteHahn-Zoric M, Fulconis F, Minoli I, et al. Antibody responses to parenteral and oral vaccines are impaired by conventional and low-protein formulas as compared to breast feeding. Acta Paediatr Scand 1990;79:1137–42.“Host-resistance factors and immunologic significance of human milk” from: Lawrence R and Lawrence R. Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession, 5th ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 1999, p. 159-196.The Immune System. In: Riordan J. Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, 3rd ed. Boston and London: Jones and Bartlett, 2004, p. 117-121.Smith, LJ. Allergenic Protection and Defense Agents and Systems in Human Milk. In: Walker M, ed. Core Curriculum for Lactation Consultant Practice. Boston: Jones and Bartlett, 2002, p. 118-155.
Hi BabyTurnip,
If you need to make just a small stock of breast milk to keep in your fridge for those special occasions, the best time to pump is after the first feeding in the morning. Your breasts are usually filled to the fullest degree after the night, even after the night feedings, and after your baby feeds in the morning, there is still usually milk left. If your breasts are extremely full to the degree that it is hard for the baby to latch, you can even pump a little before the feeding to relieve fullness. By pumping this one time a day, you will make a good store of milk and won't jeopardize your baby's feeding needs. There is a section on my site devoted to pumping and storing breast milk, if you are interested:
http://www.breastfeedingquest.com/breast-pumping.html

Hope this helps and happy Breastfeeding!