Breastfeeding Community

long days

I would like to breast feed but I work ten hour long shifts and only get 15 min long breaks. Is this enough time to pump? Is it possible to breast feed at night only then formula during the day without pumping?
I also work 10 hour days. My company has an option I can choose where I can take more 15 minute breaks to pump but I have to take it un paid or use my time off bank. Might be something you want to look into. I plan to breast feed / pump as long as possible.
Ok thanks I will look into that.
depends on the size of your company. You can also google laws in your specific state as it may provide even better protection.

I found this after googling breastfeeding laws (in case link gets deleted, you can do the same):
"President Obama signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, H.R. 3590, on March 23 and the Reconciliation Act of 2010, H.R. 4872, on March 30, 2010. (See the combined full text of Public Laws 111-148 and 111-152 here.)  Among many provisions, Section 4207 of the law amends the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) of 1938 (29 U.S. Code 207) to require an employer to provide reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for one year after the child's birth each time such employee has need to express milk. The employer is not required to compensate an employee receiving reasonable break time for any work time spent for such purpose. The employer must also provide a place, other than a bathroom, for the employee to express breast milk.  If these requirements impose undue hardship, an employer that employs fewer than 50 employees is not subject to these requirements. The federal requirements shall not preempt a state law that provides greater protections to employees." (http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx)

and to answer your question, 15 minutes may be enough. Some people need more, some less. But it's certainly worth trying.
I went back to work at 4 months. Since I was exclusively pumping, I had trained my body to be used to me pumping only a few times a day. My bigger pumps were while I was home and I was able to do shorter ones at work.
I started pumping at work with the pump in style advance, but actually found the medela harmony to be handy because it was more portable. It emptied me twice as fast, but being a single manual pump took the same amount of time once both were done. However, it's great to keep in your purse incase you feel engorged or have a few minutes to spare. I could pump several ounces in just a few minutes. I also used to bring the playtext fridge to go- a cooler bag with ice packs built in to it. It was handy and then I didn't have to use the work refrigerator.
Its definitely possible. I had to go back to work for a couple weeks when my daughter was 8 weeks old. I bf before work, then I pumped during my two 15 mins breaks and my lunch. It might not be enough to completely empty you, but your body should get used to it if you are consistent.
Also, a time saving tip...rinse your pump parts after you finish and store them in a Ziploc bag in a fridge/cooler with ice packs. As long as you keep them refrigerated, you don't need to wash with soap after each session. That will save you time at work. Then you can wash the parts with soap in the evening.
Yes, it's possible. Your body also gets used to your schedule.  Ie. only a short pump during the day and a long pump at night/ in themorning.  As long as you demand it to produce that milk and the volume, it can adjust to the schedule.

My baby is 9 months old and  is EBF.  I typically only pump 3 x a day. first in the morning (I bf only on 1 side at night so the other is full in the morning), a quick one at lunch time, and a quick one in the evening.  Baby drinks directly from me when I'm with her.  
With a good pump, if you have it turned up as fast as it can go and as strong as it can go 15 min should be enough. Especially if you are able to do it frequently...
I agree that with a good pump you body could adjust to a fast pumping session, but you would want a high quality pump and to very organized about it. I was able to do it in 20 min sessions. I think your milk supply might dry up if you tried for just nursing at night, but then again the body can adjust to all situations. Even if you have take a few minutes unpaid, it might be worth it. Formula is SOOO expensive and breast milk is so much better. You'd probably see a return on your investment in healthier child and less doctor visits. I totally ***** that your employer is being so inflexible. I'm not sure what state you are in, but you might want to do some research as to what the laws are and what types of compensation you are entitled to. There may be a disability supplement that can compensate for some of the lost time. A good lactation consultant would probably be able to best advise you on how to get the results you want and would likely be aware of the laws for your area. Do your research then approach HR or your boss and see if you can work something out. Maybe if you put it to them in financial terms they can understand it better. Breast feeding= a healthier child= less time off work for mother= company saves money due to less down time and training of replacement. Good luck!