question about switching sides

I am a first time mom with a 2 week old! we have been nursing strong this whole time, and i consider myself extremely lucky that things have been going so smoothly.  in the hospital the nurses had me nurse 10 minutes on each side to bring my milk in, but since coming home, I have been nursing exclusively one side and than the other, he has been gaining about a lb a week and his diapers are all on target! so what i am wondering is how do i know if he should be put on the other side after finishing the first? he usually spits out my nipple when he is done, and turns his head away, should i try to put him on the other side, or what signs should i look for that he wants to continue eating and might be out of milk.  Thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well I know for me I nurse 15 on one side burp him (to get the air out, I believe it makes more room) then nurse on the other side for 15.
Helpful - 0
doesn't he/she get to much foremilk that way? and not enough hindmilk?
Helpful - 0
If he unlatchs after the first side burp him and offer the other side. I've talked to my lactation nurse and they told me my daughter will latch if she wants more. Other then that because my daughter favors one side to start with the other in attempts to keep supply and not feel engorged. This is my second I'm breastfeeding and I'm still asking questions. It sounds like your son is doing good though. Just my insight.
Helpful - 0
thanks! i was able to get a hold of someone today and they said basically the same thing.  I found that if I burp him and "close up shop" he will let me know if he is still hungry shortly after. it seems to only be during certain times of the day, after noon and evening that he wants more than one side.  nighttime feedings, and morning feedings he is happy with just the one side.  
he had a doctors appointment today and they are happy with how things are progressing with breastfeeding so i will just continue how i am going and continue to just watch for his cues that he is still hungry.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community