Cancer Community

Am I having the signs/symptoms of leukemia?

Hi! I'm Diana, 18 yrs old. I always feel tired even though I had no strenous activities for the day. I feel sow eak and I'm having joint pains specially on the lower half of my body. If I slide my finger on the inner side of my forelimbs, I can feel and see "spots" that look like rashes but ont he inner skin. Sometimes there are red spots thatemerge outside or on the surface of my skin. Sometimes I also experiencefrequent burping. Maybe like 2-5 times a month I experience it that for 20 minutes I am continuously burping. Also I experience discomfort on the left side of my stomach or belly. Sometimes it's so severe that I cant move well and can hardly walk. I have irregular menstruation. Sometimes I menstruate twice a month. I also easily catch cold and cough. I had two infections on my pharynx just from the start of this year. I also had bacterial tonsilitis. But the main thing that's bothering me right now is really that i feel so weak all the time and I almost always experience joint pains. And that this is the fifth day I don't have an appetite. I'm forcing myself to eat but when I do, I feel full easily. I've been doubting if I have leukemia and been doing some research. Could these really be signs of leukemia? What should I do?
Hi Diana,
I understand your concern regarding your symptoms. Common symptoms of chronic or acute leukemia may include swollen lymph nodes that usually don't hurt, fevers or night sweats, frequent infections, feeling weak or tired, bleeding and bruising easily, swelling or discomfort in the abdomen and weight loss. Definite diagnosis is usually with the results of physical exam and diagnostic tests such as blood tests. A complete blood count to check the number of white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets is important.  Biopsy may also be indicated. Drink plenty of fluids, eat healthy, and rest. If your symptoms persists, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.