Cancer Community

Bump behind ear

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this ... I have a small bump behind my right ear, and I can't figure out what it is. Some characteristics:

1) It's tender and movable
2) It keeps changing size ... one day it's tiny, the next it's huge, then small again
3) I had some skin irritation on my earlobe, but that's been gone for awhile.

Doc said to just keep an eye on it, but I'm wondering what it could be ... cyst? Swollen lymph nodes? Skin blemish/zit?
Depending on where the bump is - it might be a swollen lymph node.  You probably should get this checked by your doctor though.  

Carol
A lymph node behind the ear can take 6 months to go back down to normal and longer if you keep touching it. Every time you touch a lymph node you are aggrevating it therefore keeping it in an enlarged state. The nodes behind the ear will take on any foreign matters that have to do with your ears, colds, etc. I would not stress anout this but would try to refrain from touching it and give it a good month. Then lightly touch it to see if it has decreased in size. If it is smaller it is doing its job and going back down in size.
Hope this helps.

Debbie
Sounds like a swollen lymph node.  Ones that stay swollen for more than 2 weeks are ones physicians want patients to come in and get evaluated for.

Enoch Choi,MD
Thanks to all. Debbie, I think you're on the money. I left it completely alone this morning and just checked it now - very gently - to see how it was, and it feels like it's already getting smaller. I just need to stop aggravating it.

My GP thinks it's either a cyst or a lymph node. I have an appt with an ENT on Thursday to get it checked out.

Thanks!
It's thursday, how'd the ENT visit go?

Enoch Choi, MD
We're all ears ;)
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.