Cancer Community

Hard lump on neck below skin

This is a question from my girlfriend.

I have this hard lump that is located about an inch below my ear near my jaw line. I was having sharp pains and discomfort around my ear so I got it checked out but never mentioned the lump just said I was having pain near my ear. The doctor diagnosed me with TMJ and gave me muscle relaxer that did no help for the pain. The pain is on and off. My dad died from malignant sarcoma soft tissue type at 36 and his mom died at 24 from hodgkins lyphoma. I am 18 and get checked for cancer every 2 years, but above the chest isn't ever checked. There are lyph nodes behind my ear that I got biopsied when I was 12 or 13 because they were enlarged, but they said they were just a reaction from a tick bite I had gotten a month before. Those Lyph nodes are still there and the same size as they were then. Recently I have been extremely tired, and get really light headed everytime I stand up. I also wake up sweating alot even with barely any clothes on. This lump is well below the skin probably about half an inch. You have to really press down on the skin to feel it. I don't want to be making a big deal out of it if it's nothing, but I use to be this really healthy never sick person. But I get sick all the time now with sinus infections and I get migraines, and also a month ago I had a severly enlarged lyph node on my neck that's diameter was that of a quarter. When I got that checked out they said they werent sure what it was because I showed no symptoms of an ear infection or an infection in my throat, so they gave me medication for a skin infection. The swollen lyph node slowly went down, but it is still there just probably 1/6 the size it was. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.