Cancer Community

Kidney cancer

My 77 year old father has been diagnosed with Renal Cancer, Transtional Cell cancer in his bladder along with the blood disorder MDS. He has diabetes, has a pace maker & defiblator, other than that he his a pretty strong man. His urologist had told us before his kidney biopsy that if it came back positive for RCC, that they would remove it and scrap his bladder, fill the bladder with chemo and go from there. We went back for the results (which were RCC) and he doesn't want to due the surgey. My dad is very confused. The onocologist told him if he chose surgery that he would find another to to it, but he wanted to give my dad quality of life. What are the risks if he would decide the surgery? The onocologist had mentioned 3 to 6 months after surgery? I know you can't tell us what to do, but we would appreciate another opinion.
Hi.  Surgery is the preferred initial mode of treatment for Stage 1-3 Renal Cell Carcinoma, since it offers the best chances for survival.  However, for some elderly patients with small tumors or those who are not fit to undergo surgery, the following options are possible:

1. Surveillance alone ("watchful waiting"). For small tumors (stage 1-2), 80 - 90% 5-year survival rates are possible.
2. Radiofrequency ablation. This option is available if the tumor is small (less than 5 cm).  This involves passing a probe through a blood vessel and into the tumor.  The probe emits  high frequency radio waves which burn up the tumor.
3. Cryoablation.  This also involves a probe, but it tries to freeze instead of burning the tumor,  to kill it.

I cannot estimate your dad's risk if he decides to undergo surgery. It depends on the status of his other co-morbid conditions (the heart disease,the diabetes and the MDS).  These other illnesses can complicate his post-operative course and recovery from surgery.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.