Cancer Community

Lump Behind Ear

My dad will not go to the doctor at all so I'm trying to get info to determine if I should be concerned or let the matter go.  He has a large irregular shaped (like a bag full of marbles) protruding lump approximately 2" in diameter that seems to be getting larger, not smaller.  It was fairly slow growing--took months to appear.  He says it isn't very painful.  There is no skin discoloration of any kind.  It is moveable and a combination of hard and soft.  It does not appear to yield to pressure.  I know that most lumps are not cancerous, but I am concerned about the shape irregularity, the location, the continued growth and that there is no skin discoloration of any kind.  Any help?
Hi.
The lumps behind your father’s ear could be several enlarged lymph nodes.  This can be caused by an infection (acute or chronic infection) near the area of the lymph node.  Persistent infection would make the lymph nodes increase in size, and there are times when even with treatment, the enlarged lymph nodes do not regress in size.  However, there are other conditions that can also present with enlargement of the lymph nodes.  An example is a head and neck malignancy.  Most of the time, the initial presentation is a unilateral neck node enlargement (one side of the neck) that is progressively enlarging.
I believe you can convince your father to have a check up with his doctor.  Diagnostic procedures will be carried out in order to have a more definite diagnosis.
Good luck.    
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.