Cancer Community

Lump in back of neck

Hello my name is Michael and i am concerned about a lump i have found in my neck, i believe its between C6 & C7 but not absolutely sure, i have had a dramatic increase in severe headaches of late, i also have periodic episodes which leave me disoriented and occasionally my hands spasm, i am unsure whether these are related but thought it wise to mention, I have been aware of the lump for two weeks now and it is not painful to manipulate but feels solid and out of place. Am i reading to much into this or should i visit my doctor? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance :)
Hi!
Though it is very difficult to diagnose a lump without examination, I will try my best to list the possibilities and explain how each lump is diagnosed. In some people the occipital bone at the back of the skull has a protuberance. This is a normal finding. Another normal finding is a protruding spine of cervical vertebra due to bad posture. The other possibilities are a cyst, a neurofibroma (localized harmless swelling in a nerve), lipoma (localized collection of fat), a swollen lymph node, an abscess, or folliculitis (hair follicle infection). Rarely is it a bony tumor like osteoma. Since you have spasms, you could be having a pinched nerve.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.