Cancer Community

Lump in mouth

I'm a 24YO female and I've had this very small lump on the inner jaw close to the bottom of my mouth for about 4 years. It's under the skin, it doesnt move and it feels like a cyst (I have one behind my ear). But I don't see anything when I look in the mirror and when I read about cysts inside the mouth it says you should see it and that you have to have it removed. Mine doesnt bother me it's just there but I was wondering if it should be something to worry about.

Hi.  If that lump has been there for the past four years and hasn't grown in size or caused any other symptom, then it's most probably non-cancerous and should not be cause for worry.  That lump may either be a lymph node, or uncommonly, a thyroglossal duct cyst.  The thyroid gland, early in development, is located higher up in the neck, and comes down slowly through a tract as a person grows older.  Sometimes, this tract does not close completely and eventually fills up with fluid and becomes a cyst.  Thyroglossal duct cysts usually don't cause any symptoms unless they become infected, so there's no need to remove them immediately.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.