Cancer Community
I went to the clinic about two weeks ago for ear aches and sinus pain. Figured I might have a sinus infection. He checked my ears throat and nose and said everything looked alright. I now have a small pea sized lump behind the ear. It has really been painful for me the last couple days. My sinuses are bugging me as well. It is a continuous pain that only goes away when I lie on it or push near the area. It really hurts to touch it. It causes sever headaches all around. I also have felt sick and dizzy. I went to the clinic again. The doctor there asked me if I had bumped my head on something. Of course I think I would know. He then felt the area and said "You think this is a lump?"(as if I was dumb). He says that it is just the bone area and that I possibly have slept on it too long or have been leaning on something. I said to him what about the head aches. He says well take some Tylenol. I told him I tried that and it does not take the pain away. He says well don't lay on that area and it will go away. I felt as if I was not going to get anywhere with this doctor and just stormed out. Too me it sounds as if he don't give a darn and wants to send me on my way. I know there is something wrong and I don't go to the doctors for nothing. I just want the pain to go away. What can I do besides see another doctor about it. Please E-mail me at ***@****
Painful lumps that last more than 3 weeks are not necessarily normal, even though some swollen lymph nodes can be swollen normally for a month or more.  It's worth getting rechecked with a different doctor if you're not satisfied with this 1st doctor's explanation that it's a bony prominence. I can't suggest anything other than seeing another doctor.  Who else is going to be able to examine it and tell you what they think?

Dr. Enoch Choi, MD
Palo Alto, CA
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.