Cancer Community

Pancreatic Cancer, only 22?

I am a 22 year old male and the doctors think i have pancreatitis.  I was admitted to the hospital due to high amalyse and lipase levels and they are still high 3 weeks later.  I had an MRCP and Ultrasound and they came back normal.  The MRCP found inflammation in my pancreas, and i still have pale stools and high blood levels. What do I have? What are the chances i have pancreatic cancer?

Hi.  Pancreatic cancer usually takes time to develop and usually manifests in older individuals, not people your age.  As you have already mentioned, the MRCP found inflammation in your pancreas.  This is none other than pancreatitis, not cancer.  If the inflammation of the pancreas is severe, it takes weeks, sometimes more than a month, for the patient to recover.  So I'm not surprised that your amylase and lipase levels are still elevated three weeks after the initial diagnosis.  With proper treatment, the pancreatitis will resolve and you'll get better.  Stay positive.
Thank you for responding.  I have a few new symptoms I am concerned about, my liver feels a tad tender when i press on it and it appears that i have some blood in my stool...my doctors are taking their time calling me back and I think if I do have cancer it might have been a small tumor undetected by MRCP!  What are your thoughts
HELP and Thank You.
by the way, the doctors do not know what causes my pancreatitis
I would also appreciate it if any other medical experts could help answer my questions
Hi.  Pancreatic cancer usually doesn't present with any symptoms at all until the tumor has grown quite large.  That's why it is usually detected at a late stage (since there are no symptoms initially).  The fact that you are already experiencing various symptoms, without any evidence of a pancreatic mass makes the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer unlikely.  The prevalence of pancreatic cancer at your age group is also quite low, so I really doubt that you have this condition.
Dr. Fernando. Again, thanks for responding
Well it's been about 2 months since my pancreatitis, I have had and MRCP(showed inflammation) and now a CT scan which showed nothing, my lipase and amalyse numbers are still slightly elevated,( low 200's) but i still have pale stools and sometimes they float, other times i have dark stools they don't float,i also have mucus around my stools regularly, if my pancreatitis is getting better, and cancer is unlikely (esp after CT scan) what is causing my stools to still be abnormal?
thank you
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.