Cancer Community

Persistently high WBC

I have had a persistently high white blood count. In September, I ended up in the hospital for chest pains (I am a heavy smoker). It was 17,000. Two months later I had my WBC checked again and it was at 12,000. I thought it was an infection from 2 months earlier when my chest was hurting, and thought everything was coming back to normal. Well it is once again 17,000. I had an HIV and hepatitis test done, both were negative. I don't feel like I have an infection. Maybe alittle fatigued at times. I know my neutrophils were at 92% and my B-lymphocytes were at 15%. Not sure what that means. Now they want to do a bone marrow biopsy. I really don't want to do this. Does this WBC really warrant enough to go through a biopsy or are they wanting to do it needlessly? What could an elevated WBC mean?
1. Make sure a pathologist or hematologist has looked at your blood smear under the microscope.
2. Have someone check your LAP score (leukocyte alkaline phosphatase). If it is low, you may have a serious bone marrow disease.
3.If your hemoglobin level and platelet levels are abnormal as well (high or low) then definitely get a bone marrow biopsy.
Many smokers have an elevated white cell count, so if the docs find a normal LAP score and rest of your blood counts are normal and hematologist/pathologist feel there are no immature cells in your blood smear, then it is reasonable to hold back on a biopsy. However, the only way to be 100% sure would be to do the biopsy. In expireienced hands, its not too bad.Definitely some pain involved and mild risk of bleeding and infection, but it does give a lot of info.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.