Cancer Community

Radiation Induced Dementia

In 1998 my husband underwent whole brain radiation for treatment of brain tumor with dx of stage iv melanoma (no primary was ever found).  About 5 years ago he began to exhibit behavior changes which have gotten worse since then.  He is delusional, on disability and is taking Zyprexa, Amantadine, Namenda, Cymbalta and excelon patch.  Still, he seems to worsen.  He now has symptoms of Parkinsons with balance issues.  He is 55 years old - much to young to be this dibilitated.  He was tremendously active, a college graduate who owned his own business.  I just cannot accept that after beating all the odds and surviving we are now dealing with this.  Do you have any suggestions?
I know the feeling! My daughter had a Wilm's tumor removed from her R. kidney in 1968. She had metastesis to the lungs and the brain in 1969. The brain tumor was removed and she received so much radiation I think she glows in the dark.  She finished high school and graduated from college.  Since 2005 there has been a frighteningly steady lessening of her abilities and her awareness. She has been on disability since 2006. In 2007 she moved back in with me. Right now she is on amantadine, Lexepro, and Topomax.  Every day I see her go down hill I try to remember that we were no expected to have 1 year, let alone 40.
My dad had a brain tumor ~37 years ago and received radiation. About 9 years ago he started showing many of these symptom. Balance deficits, memory loss, slurred speech. He also developed a seizure disorder. I understand how frustrating this is.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.