Cancer Community

Scared and looking for answers.

Well...I'm 26 to start off with, and scared of my symptoms and where my testing may lead me...I have a family history of crohn's, colon cancer, and autoimmune diseases.  I was diagnosed with IBS in 2003 with little testing done.  My digestive problems (constipation, pain, bloating, gas...) began in 2002, after the birth of my first child.  In 2006, I was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroid disease.  I now take 0.05mg Eltroxin daily.  Since my IBS diagnoses, or even more noticably, since around the time I was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroid disease, my symptoms have been gradually getting worse.  I've had unexplained fevers many times in the past few years.  Just strange episodes, where I can't explain whats going on except that it seems my immune system is going funny or that my body is attacking something, of which I never actually know.  I hope that doesn't sound strange!  

I have a colonoscopy done in June 2006.  One polyp was removed which was a 'good' one.  

In the last year, I have had 8 colds, pneumonia once, strep/tonsillitis twice.  Needless to say, I don't feel healthy and I wish I could blame it on poor diet...but I can't.  I eat well.  I haven't had a bag of chips or a bottle of pop in my house in a very long time.

So, my symptoms or my illness has decided to blow up again.  Only this time, its serious and I'm scared.  I've had diarrhea for 3 weeks.  At first, it was just as loose as it could get without being water and full of undigested food.  I've had as many as 14 bm's in one day and all of them very painful, lots of cramping.  No pain at my rectum though, its all in my lower abdomen.  After about a week and a half, I started noticing streaks of fresh red blood on the very loose stools.  The next day, I had a stool that was covered in olive-green jelly.  That scared me, so I looked it up and I guess it is bile.  I read that it can be orangy and mucous-like also.  So, what my stools are like now, is that for the past 3 or 4 days, they have been harder and formed. Yay!!  But they have been covered with A LOT of orange mucous and the red blood is mixed in with the mucous.  The blood is minimal.  I have taken some mucous and put it on saran-wrap and held it up to light.  There is most definitely fresh red blood in there.  The amount of mucous I am seeing now is really a lot.  I've had bm's and looked at them and just been shocked at the amount.

So my doctor is testing my white blood cell counts and kidney function to begin with.  I'm fairly certain that a colonoscopy is right around the corner.  What my query is, is that I'd like some more information about what this sounds like so that I can try to take a pro-active roll in my testing and know what's going on.  I feel pretty lost right now.  If anyone can help, I would be so happy.  Thank you so much!
Kristyn.
Sorry...I forgot to add a couple things.  My doc did rectal exam for hemerroids and there is nothing.  He is also doing stool samples for blood as well as other things such as E. coli and C. diff.  I also wanted to say that I don't smoke, drink or do any drugs.
Kristyn.
Hi Kristyn: I've Had IBS for many years and all those digestive ailments can be attributed to it. Not sure about your lack of resistence or immune system. I had what I thought was a real bout with IBS this Christmas and went for my 1st colonoscopy to see what was going on. Result: stage2 colon cancer. Had a successful resection of large colon and may go for chemo in a few weeks just as an insurance policy. My point is: suspected IBS can mask something that may be more serious? Not to alarm you cause these thing are soooo scary. I would want another colonoscopy. They are so easy to take and at least you would be sure there is nothing in there. Godbless.
Some of your symptoms sound like Celiac Disease. It's a allergy to food with wheat/glueten. Some cases can be severe. You may just want to bring it up to your doctor. There is no cure, just a glueten free diet makes things better
My doctor called me and asked me to come in on Monday because my blood tests were abnormal.  I asked him why and he told me my blood cell counts were low, especially my white blood cells.  He said that could mean my immune system is trying to fight against or attack something and he would like to do a few more tests.  What could this mean??
Some of your symptoms sound likemine! I've had a lot of mucous in my stool to the point where u can barely see the stool! I also have bright red blood on my stool but that hasn't happened much! I do have like this greenish mucous stuff on my stool sometimes in fact today I did! I notice when this happens my stomach seems to be upset! I've had diahrrea but only twice and it was actually yellow and pieces of lettuce were in it gross! I had blood work everything was normal but I do have a colonoscopy this coming Monday I'm very scared! I'll let u know what happens!
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.