When one is talking about survival rates, it depends on tumor type, staging, comorbidities, etc. more so that whether one has a lumpectomy vs bilateral mastectomy.
I would recommend you discuss in detail the pros and cons of a lumpectomy vs mastectomy in your individual case with your Oncologist.
I am a 14 yr survivor of Breast cancer. My lump was 3 cm and elected to have a bilateral mastectomy and then I had chemo treatment after that. Also 12 nodes were removed from under my arm and only one was positive. I, so far, have had no signs of cancer reappearing.
I would recommend you discuss this with your Oncologist to see what would be the best way for you to go and then you decide. Things have come a long way since I had mine done and I am sure now it may be easier, I don't know.
I was very fortunate to have an Aunt(inlaw) to help me decide which way to go and I only had one week to decide on what I was to do. I also elected not to have reconstruction done. Everyone needs to decide that for them selves... Good Luck to you on your decision.
Thank you very much for your response. My tumor(s) were 3.9x3.5 axilla and 2.0x2.5 +/- breast. I have taken (7) chemo treatments so far, have one more this Thursday and then will have surgery. Tumors have both shrunk to non-pappable size which is great, however, surgery is a must.
I appreciate both your inputs and will be discussing my options with my surgeon on the 23rd of Sept.