Avatar universal

Throat cancer or bad reflux?

For the past 8 months I have been suffering from these symptoms. So I have had acid reflux since I was 16. I am now 29. I have been taking ppis. 8 months ago I started getting strange sensations in my throat. It is like a tight feeling and mucus seems to collect in my throat. My voice has been hoarse for the entire 8 months. I have been taking protonix every day. I haven't had insurance which is why I don't go to the doctor. I am overweight and I am working on losing the weight. I am worried it is cancer because it hasn't improved in 8 months. I also experience a grinding sensation in the right side of my throat when swallowing. I have no lumps that I can feel. Does this seem like cancer? Someone with experience please help.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
973741 tn?1342342773
Oh gosh, I'm sorry to hear.  I wouldn't immediately think cancer though.  Gerd that is uncontrolled can cause ulcers.  I would tend to think it is more that.  Unfortunately, you are going to have to get to a doctor. Urgent care around you?  They sometimes take people on a basis of pay out of pocket at reduced rates based on income and are more like a regular care physician than an ER type of situation.  So, is that something you can do?  I agree that losing weight is a long process but does definitely help with gastric reflux. We have a group of us trying to lose a bit of weight and chatting about it on the weight loss and dieting community.  Here is the link:  https://www.medhelp.org/posts/Weight-Loss--Dieting/HOLIDAY-WEIGHT-LOSS-CHALLENGE-2018/show/3038284#post_14400540
Sometimes it helps to have friends and supporters for such endeavors! :>))
Helpful - 0
cwc8121External User
I have had problem like yours for over 20 years have been on 3 drugs to reduce the problem, they have found that when I eat it takes up to 24-36 hours for it to break down in my stomach so much of what I eat does not get processed at all, based on what you are talking about you need to see a specialist and stop messing around with this it could cost you your life if you don't get this fixed.
Could you explain what medicines and what the diagnosis was?
dandy73External User
Mike, having experienced thyroid cancer in 2003 I feel it would be advisable to seek professional medical assessment.  Having no insurance isn't great but I feel there are places which could guide you to assistance.  It would be far wiser to seek medical consult than to wait.  This could also be something very easily corrected.  Most cities of any size have free medical clinics which could be a good first start for you. Be proactive concerning this.  
Helpful - 0
dandy73, we very much appreciate your sage advice for our members and hope you contribute more on our site.  Thank you.
Avatar universal
You should see a GI or ENT doctor for further workup and management.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.