Cancer Community

aldara vaginally?

I've recently had colposcopy biopsies. The Lab reports came back high grade squamous cells, Vain III. I really dont understand it, but evidently the bad cells are thru 3 layers of the vaginal wall. My dr prescribed Aldara vaginally, twice a week for 12 weeks. I've had my 4th treatment, and I'm not having fun. Within 24 hours after teatment I am crying in pain, muscle aches, joint pain, my skin over my whole body hurts. I also have vaginal itching, burning, but its not that bad. I also am having nausea, with upset stomach and vomiting. About 48 hours after the treatment, i begin to feel better. Are these symptoms normal? Is there anyone else out there being treated with Aldara vaginally? I cant find any information online about using it this way. Only warnings, saying dont use in vagina. I cant even find any clinical trials using it vaginally. Am I the only one?
Welcome to ALDARA.com

Aldara Cream activates your immune system to help your body fight certain skin diseases, including actinic keratosis, superficial basal cell carcinoma, and external genital warts. If you would like to learn more about one of these conditions, this Web site will provide you with important information. It will also give you information about Aldara Cream
http://www.****.*** on the above site LOOK UP THE DOSE & ADMINISTRATION portion  page 1
Vaginal intraepithelial neoplasia (VAIN) is a condition that describes premalignant histological findings in the vagina characterized by dysplastic changes. It is generally asymptomatic.

The disorder is rare and may have no symptoms.[1] VAIN can be detected by the presence of abnormal cells in a Papanicolaou test (Pap smear).[1]

Like cervical intraepithelial neoplasia, VAIN comes in three stages, VAIN 1, 2, and 3.[2] In VAIN 1, a third of the thickness of the cells in the vaginal skin are abnormal, while in VAIN 3, the full thickness is affected.[2] VAIN 3 is also known as carcinoma in-situ, or stage 0 vaginal cancer.[2]

Infection with certain, high-risk types of the human papillomavirus may be associated with up to 80% of cases of VAIN.[3]

One study found that most cases of VAIN were located in the upper third of the vagina, and were multifocal.[4] In the same study, 65 and 10% patients with VAIN also had cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia, respectively.[4]

In another study, most cases of VAIN went into remission after a single treatment, but about 5% of the cases studied progressed into a more serious condition despite treatment.[5]

I've known a  few women who have experienced your same experience. I had and now have again vaginal cancer. I was treated with chemo/rads. Not fun but doable. I'm now going to be treated with Cyberknife as I have residual cells. This is such a rare cancer, and VAIN is also uncommon. Your treatment is pretty common for your condition, you are using actual chemo so you could very well experience the tiredness and nausea, vomiting. Ask your dr. for meds to combat your nausea/vomiting. They work wonders, trust me, been there done that. If it is too bothersome or side effects too severe, ask your dr. what other treatments are available for your VAIN. Possibly maybe laser surgery? I know some dr. will use radiation treatment (not as bad as it sounds if you are being seen by a good rad/oncologist, it makes all the difference in the world).
I am interested in how your treatment works out for you as this is a rare disorder and rare cancer. I've only found a handful of women who have gone through this.
Thank you amylynn for your reply. I am sorry for your recurrent ca., and pray your treatments go well for you. I am so happy to have found this forum. I am saddened that we are affected by cancer and even need this board, but happy for a place to share our experiences and  compare notes. I have been dying to find a place that I could ask questions.
My dr is eager to answer any questions that I have, and I like her very much,but honestly, I dont think she knows all there is to know about aldara. When I asked about side effects, she seemed very confident that the side effects were mild flu-like symptoms. She even seemed surprised to hear of the list of symptoms I asked her about. And she even said that as far as she knows, there are no sytemic side effects to using the med vaginally. After spending hours and hours researching the medicine online, I can understand why. There is just no information out there about the use of Aldara vaginally. Some have suggested to me that its because the disease is rare and there are not so many studies about it. Even the trials that 3M (maker of Aldara) did,  report no unpleasant side effects. Go figure,,,I guess it depends on who you ask. If you ask me, there ARE moderate to severe systemic side effects. But what do I know.  At any rate, I must have some sort of treatment, or it will become invasive. Ive had hysterectomy,  laser, wide excision surgery, freezing, and the VAIN and CIN come back quickly. So for now, I will continue this method of treatment, or at least for as long as I can stand it.
Thank yall so much for responding to my post. And good luck with your treatments.
Thank you. I am grateful that my recurrence has been caught so early, that is why we have our follow-ups when there is more of a chance for something to be done. VAIN and CIN can be stubborn. Along with these treatments, if you smoke, try and stop, try eating healthier (if you don't already do), and try to reduce stress (if that is possible.) All of these things lower our immune systems and HPV loves a depressed immune system and thrives in it. I am waiting to find out when I can have Cyberknife treatment, which I find out this Thurs. Like I said keeping up with our routine 3 month follow ups keeps this beast in check and catches it early when the chances of treatment will work in our favor. I know this is such a rare disease (VAIN and Vaginal Cancer).
Also if you don't already, take a daily multi-vitamin. (Forgot to add that above)
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.