Cancer Community

atypical cells

I recently had a two moles biopsied from my back.  The results from them came back atypical cells.  They are now sending them for a second opinion.  Is it possible that i may have cancer.  I didn't get much information from them and the person who took the biopsy was a nurse practitioner not a doctor does this matter?
Hi.  "Atypical cells" on biopsy may signify either cancer, or a pre-cancerous condition (a condition which may later lead to cancer).  It is a good thing that they sent the biopsy specimen for a second opinion, just to make sure that the right diagnosis has been given.  Anyway, if the biopsy turns out to be malignant or pre-malignant, it would be wise to seek the opinion of a cancer specialist so that the next steps can be planned.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.