Cancer Community

jaw cancer or tooth abcess?

About 2 years ago my dentist told me I had a large shadow on my dental x Ray (upper jaw). He said he didn't know what it was, but not to worry about it.  I have noticed a swelling or thickening in the gums in that area for some time. My dentist monitors my tooth mobility in that area. In the last 2-3 months I developed tenderness in that area and it bled every time I flossed for about a month. In the last few days I have developed constant aching in that part of my jaw and and it is very tender near one tooth in particular. This tooth also moves slightly when I push it. I have a dentist appointment coming up and I want to get some answers and help. Should I worry about jaw cancer, or is it likely to be a simple tooth abcess that he can treat easily? Please help. Thank you in advance.
How are you? Symptoms of jaw cancer include pain or numbness in the jaw, and a lump or other abnormal growth. A biopsy is usually done to confirm diagnosis. Other differentials include an infection or an abscess. It is best that you have this checked by your doctor or dentist for proper diagnosis and to ease any worry. Direct clinical examination is important. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your comment. I have now been referred for an extraction and dental implant and my mind has been put at rest. Turns out it was a large cavity starting under the gum line (my mind was just over-racing about that shadow and imagining something much more sinister). Will now be an expensive but benign problem to deal with. I appreciate your reply and hope this result may put other people's minds at rest too, if they are worrying like i have been!
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.