Cancer Community

lump behind the ear

I am worried about my mother, 56 year old. Recently she felt a small lump/ lymph node behind the ear. She didn't have any fever but occasionally she feels itching sensation in her ears and she used to insert an ear bud to stop itching. Also she have a some scratch on her head.  She went to a doctor and told her to observe it and advised her to check if it disappears after a month. A month passed and still the lymph node was palpable but remained with the same size. Two days ago she experienced a sharp pain in her neck and felt another lump near the jugular area . They are not painful but they're worrying her.
Could someone tell me if it may be something serious like cancer??

Thank you for your help
How is your mother? What other symptoms are present? Were there initial diagnostic tests done? I understand your concern regarding this. Enlarged lymph nodes may be attributed to a variety of issues such as infection, autoimmune diseases as well as possible malignancy. To determine the underlying cause, additional diagnostic tests may need to be done such as following tests may be done blood tests, including liver function tests, kidney function tests, and CBC with differential; lymph node biopsy; chest x-ray; or  liver-spleen scan. If it persists, it is best that you have this checked by a doctor for proper evaluation. Direct clinical examination and diagnostic tests may need to be done. Take care and do keep us posted.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.