Cancer Community

waiting for your reply

Doctor,

I had a chronic pancreatitis and diabetis   when the doctor checked the CT scan report one year before, and now, I am wrting this letter because doctor asked me take ca 19.9 test along with other test recently now I am not having pain in abdomen and my digestion  is ok. when I took the ca19.9, the result was 16,, and amalyse is 48 and crp is less than 6, ..  and WBC is 6800 when I showed the result the doctor told that after 3 months you have to take again the ca19.9 test…  I am seeking your advice regarding my test reports and their values..
iam taking one  pancreatin tablet after dinner daily from last one year.. is there problem in taking this tablet regularly , please advice my about my present condition of my chronic pancreatic from the above values. waiting for your reply eagerly..

Hi.  The values for your CA 19-9, amylase, WBC and CRP are all normal.  I'm not sure why your doctor has ordered  the CA 19-9, nor why he wants to have it repeated after three months (it's normal anyway).  Chronic pancreatitis is a known risk factor for developing  pancreatic cancer.  But the presence of this condition still doesn't justify ordering CA 19-9 to screen for pancreatic cancer, particularly if the person does not present with any symptoms suggesting the existence of a pancreatic mass.  CA 19-9 cannot be used to screen for pancreatic cancer because it has a high number of both false positive and false negative results.

Since you have chronic pancreatitis, you may have a problem producing enough digestive enzymes, so the pancreatin can help you by supplementing or replacing some of your digestive enzymes.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.