Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Forum

25 year old, concerned about EKG and Chest XRAY

I'm a 25 year old, pretty active male. I'm 6'1, 160 lbs. In December I started running about 2 miles per day until during mid-January, while I was running, I experienced a large 'thump' in my chest. I immediately stopped and tried not to think about it. But the next day while running my heart thumped again (I later learned these are "PVCs"). Being pretty health conscious I decided to head over to urgent care for an evaluation. They did vitals, a chest X-Ray, EKG, and blood work. My blood pressure was high due to being very nervous. The blood values came back normal. They mentioned the EKG said something about "left ventricular hypertrophy" and he said 'that is a normal finding in a young healthy guy'. And he gave me a copy of my chest X-ray and said it looks perfectly normal. They sent me home and told me to stop worrying.

Well I wish he didn't give me the x-ray. I keep looking online at other chest X-rays online and I've convinced myself my heart might be a little large. But then again I've seen some athletes with larger hearts.. Anyway since I have no clinical experience I'll leave it up to you to decide.

I took a picture of it here: http://uploader.ws/upload/201102/photo_1.jpg

Well I began to obsess over this so I called my GP and told him about the EKG/Xray and I requested an echo just to be safe. He told me that there is absolutely no grounds for an echo and that I need to stop worrying. With all the stress I've been having I fear that my blood pressure may have caused my heart to enlarge, but he said that it would take MANY more years for that to occur and that my heart doesn't look enlarged. So he rejected my echo request. I started running 2 miles against last night and didn't experience any PVCs.

Anyway since I've never seen a heart specialist about this I thought it would be wise to get your opinion. So should I trust my doctors and stop obsessing about my heart and accept that I'm healthy? Or is an echo necessary?
Hello
Statistically, they are likely correct that the likelihood of something pathologic is low. However it seems that the psychologic component of it is overwhelming you. Perhaps you remember Hank Gathers. It seems like a visit to a specialist with your xray for a thorough history and exam and echo if indicated my alleviate your concerns. I think your just looking for second opinion agreement and that seems appropriate. You only have one heart
Best of luck
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.