Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Forum

TURN DOWN FOR COMP AT VA.

I had a triple by-pass in 1992. Since then I have diabetes type 2 about 6 to 7 yrs. ago and have been paid for diabetes for comp in connection with agent orange by the va. Two yrs. ago I was diagnosed with Ischmic  cardiomyopathy, also have retinopathy, and I know diabetes is a risk factor for heart disease.  Why does nobody reconize diabetes as a risk factor, When trying to get comp?
Hello
How are you? I want to answer your question correctly so I need to clarify that youre asking me why does no one recognize diabetes as a risk factor for heart disease? Is that what youre asking? If that is what youve been denied compensation for, that is an error. Diabetes is clearly a risk factor for heart disease and diabetic eye retinopathy as well as stroke and limb loss. Please clarify if that is your question and if it is you should appeal the decision

There is some controversy regarding the relation of agent orange and cardiomyopathy

Again. please clarify to make certain that I have addressed your concern. Thanks and good luck
They are saying that being I had a triple by-pass It's a pre existing condition,but I got Ischemic cardiomyopathay after  I had diabetes.  Should I appeal it?  Thank you for your time,
I think that you have a valid arguement that diabetes contributed to development of ischemic cardiomyopathy, irregardless of the fact that you did have Coronary artery disease and triple bypass.  At the time that you had your bypass, depending on the condition of your heart and its function, you may not have had cardio myopathy. I would appeal. I think you have a strong case. God Bless, good luck and thank you for your service to our country
Sir, Thank you for the very helpful information! I like to wish you and your family a  very Happy New Year! God Bless, Roger
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.