Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Forum

VERY NERVOUS about carotid doppler result--

I am a 45 year old white male about 40 pounds overweight.  Family history is significant for hypertension, diabetes, but no significant coronary history per say.  My parents are both still living.  I see a cardiologist annually as I have a history of benign PVCs .  My cholesterol has been in the 220 range with a HDL of 30 and LDL of157.  I enjoy walking/jogging 3-4 times per week with no symptoms.

My stress tests and carotid doppler screenings have always been normal in the past.  Yesterday however,on carotid doppler my doctor said there was a 5% occlusion on one side and "thickening" on the other.  We immediatley started 10mg Crestor, low dose ASA, and 2000mg fish oil.

My question is, am I in immediate danger?  Should I get imaging of heart, aka 64 slice?  I have two young children and want to be there for them!!  Is this low amount of plaque reversible??  I am now comitted to making changes in my lifestyle but hope I am "in time."  I guess I am asking if 5% blockage means I could have coronary heart disease...I am hoping I am "in time."
Thank you for all your help!!
Hello
Congratulations on committing to improve your lifestyle. The presence of atheroclerotic plaque is an indicator of cholesterol deposition. Atherosclerosis is a systemic process and it is likely that you have cholesterol deposits elsewhere in your body. Mild plaques like this in the carotid do not generally cause a stroke however this is a good indicator that you need to modify your intake. there is evidence that plaque can regress and remodel with extreme lo fat diets like tot fat <30gm and sat fat<12-15gm

Good luck with your efforts.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.