Caregivers Community
221 Members

Flu like attack

My 88 year old Dad has experienced over the past six weeks seven 'flu like' attacks that last for approximately 3 hours each.  No fever and no pattern, but he complains of 'flu like' symptoms and has difficulty talking when these attacks come upon him.  His blood pressure reading is high, (170 / 110), during the last episode which was this morning just after he awoke.  He tells me that the attacks are not getting any worse but he sounded pretty scared and was stuttering some over the phone this morning.  
Hello Bud,

Welcome to the Caregivers Forum. Please accept my sincere apology for being to tardy in my response.

How is your father now? These "flu like" attacks should not be dismissed. Has he been seen by his PCP or taken to ER? I am wondering if these are TIA (transient ischemic attack).

A (TIA) is often labeled “mini-stroke,” it is more accurately characterized as a “warning stroke,” a warning you should take very seriously. This occurs when small clots pass through the brain and they symptoms are transient. They can precede a CVA (cerebrovascular accident) better known as a stroke. Some ppl can have TIAs for years and never experience a CVA. Other ppl have several TIAs and then experience a CVA. So please don't dismiss his symptoms.

I am far from am expert and he may not be having TIA episodes. But at 88 please don't take the chance. I hope you will let us know how he is doing. I will look forward to your updates with interest.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life