144586 tn?1284669764

Vetting Aides, Housekeepers and Caregivers

An aide or caregiver soon becomes almost a member of the family. You literally entrust the life of your loved ones with them. But the fact is virtually all of the agencies perform virtually no vetting.

I have worked with four different "agencies", with different patients. with corporate  (this name is factional, so as not to cause legal trouble) names such as  "Creatures from Heaven" with magnificent websites and their employees were not worth the powder to blow them to Mars.

"Vetting" new hires is difficult, and virtually impossible, but I will provide a bit of input for your consideration.

(1) Check them out immediately, within the first day or two. If you don't they will soon become like family and view any attempt to do so as a breach of trust on your part.

(2) Having them fingerprinted at the police department is vertually meaningless. And expensive.

(3) Ideally have a letter made up, allegedly from the "family attorney" to flash in their faces requiring a background check for insurance purposes. Otherwise they will get upset at you. I make up ficticious letters.

(4) There is a miracle called Skype. You can telephone any nation in the world for almost nothing. I hired many aided from former Soviet block nations. I had them provide the names and phone numbers of three people in their home town....and called them. I had a friend nearby to assist in translation.

(5) Have them apply for a "Certificate of Good Conduct". Many Americans are unfamailiar with these documents. They are common throughout the world. You can even apply for one with the police in America where you live. The NYPD, for example, will provide such a "Certificate of Good Conduct" upon a minimal fee by having the aide apply at a police station. They have the police department seal and look quite impressive. They take from three to six months to be issued. Thew fact the aide freely applies is the important factor. I have all my aides apply for "Certificates of Good Conduct". They can be obtained from the town or city in any nation in the world through application through the embassy or consulate.

(6) I fingerprint them with an ink pad and a print card from the local precinct. They will usually give you a half dozen if you ask. They are also available on the internet. This I simply retain.

(7) I also take photographs. These are attached to identification cards. These are helpful if you send them to a hospital to stay with your loved one after visiting hours. Or in an emergency room. Or helping to get on an ambulance to ride with them to the hospital. The ambulances will somestimes resist taking them along. I put the title "Nursing Assistant" on them, regardless of the credentials of the aide.

(8) I don't bother with polygraphing.
Read more
Follow - 2
Upvote - 0
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Your Answer
Avatar universal
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Post Answer
Caregivers Community Resources