Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
118 Members

Help for Carpal Tunnel Pain! And other Inflammation disorders!

I was posting comments to others questions about this problem, to offer help, but decided to try and make what I have found available to everyone by posting my question as a statement so that it would grab the attention of everyone looking for answers to this problem.  Please read on:

Help for sufferers of CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome)
    I have discovered something that could help you decrease the severity of your symptoms.  You may be just as shocked, but possibly pleasantly surprised to learn what may be causing these symptoms to appear or, at the least, making your symtoms worse.  I too have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and have suffered severely because of it.   For 35 years I could not find any concrete answers.   Going under the knife for CTS release  was offered as the only permanent solution.  I had my right wrist operated on but the condition slowly reappeared over the following months. The severity of the symptoms ebbed and flowed but I couldn't discern why. But I think I have finally figured it out. It appears that the simple solution, or at least some relief from the symptoms is much simpler than we may have thought possible.  The fact is that   CTS is an inflammatory condition as is arthritis and various other painful inflammatory  conditions.  Not surprisingly there are certain foods that exacerbate these conditions.
   Try this and see if it helps you.  Take the 30 day challenge of excluding all foods in the nightshade food group ie. Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant.  See if your condition improves.  Hard to believe?  Yes! But my pain has decreased so dramatically in 2 weeks that I almost can't believe it.    After the 30 days are up try reintroducing those foods  one at a time and see if the pain returns.  If the pain does return avoid that particular food.  Wait a couple of weeks for the pain to subside then try another one.  It is simply a process of elimination.  Slow but effective.  Also avoid blueberries, huckleberries, goji berries and ashwaganda since they have alkaloid compounds in them that cause inflammation too. (My sister was making fruit smoothies with huckleberries in them and said her arthritic hands flared up and she didn't know why until I told her about what I had found).  After making the connection to nightshade foods I Googled 'nightshade vegetables' and found this link
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/link-between-nightshades-chronic-pain-and-inflammation
   Check it out if you need further convincing.
    I hope that everyone that posted in this forum checks back and reads this and tries it.  Most of all I hope it helps everyone as it has me.  I only wish that I would have discovered this simple solution, to such a painful problem, many years ago.  If it does help you please pass it on to as many other people as you can.  Good health to you all.

Here is part of the article from that web site: It was a bit to long to fit on here but will whet your appetite for the whole thing.

Nightshade Vegetables:    Few people are familiar with the term nightshade vegetables, and many will be surprised to learn that consuming foods from this plant group may be contributing to their pain and inflammation. Nightshades belong to the Solanaceae family which includes over 2,000 species.  They also include some of the most popular foods consumed today; such as tomatoes, potatoes, all types of peppers, and eggplant.  Although not truly nightshades, blueberries, huckleberries, goji berries and ashwaganda all share the same inflammation-inducing alkaloids.
   The Solanaceae family contains cholinesterase inhibiting glycoalkaloidsand steroid alkaloids including, among others, solanine in potato and eggplant, tomatine in tomato, nicotine in tobacco, and capsaicin in garden peppers. The glycoalkaloids in potatoes are known to contribute to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and negatively affect intestinal permeability. (1,2)  According to Dr. Marvin Childers, "When these inhibitors accumulate in the body, alone or with other cholinesterase inhibitors such as caffeine or food impurities containing systemic cholinesterase inhibiting pesticides, the result may be a paralytic-like muscle spasm, aches, pains, tenderness, inflammation, and stiff body movements." (3) These symptoms may dissipate in a few hours or days if ingestion is stopped, based on the sensitivity of the individual, the amount of nightshades consumed on a regular basis and their level of inflammation. However for some heavy consumers of nightshades the process of inflammation and pain reduction can take up to 3 months.
   After reading the symptoms associated with nightshade consumption, it is easy to understand why one of the major problems attributed to nightshade is arthritis. Arthritis is also the most common disability in the U.S. (4,5) Statistics from a 2007-2009 study show that doctor diagnosed arthritis affects 49.9 million people in the United States alone (6).  Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis affecting more than 20 million people. More than 2 million people are affected by rheumatoid arthritis, the most disabling and painful form of arthritis. Arthritis has no boundaries to gender, race or age, it affects young and old alike. (5, 7) In fact it may be surprising to some that an estimated 294,000 children (age 18 and under), have some form of arthritis. (7) In 2003 the medical cost of arthritis alone was approximately 128 billion annually. (4) Since 1994, disability-related costs for medical care and lost productivity have exceeded an estimated $300 billion annually in the United States, this includes arthritis and other rheumatoid related illness (8) Add to these numbers the report released in 2011 by the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, where an estimated 116 million adults live with chronic pain, which costs the United States $635 billion annually in health care and lost productivity. (9) So the question is how much of these problems are nightshade related? That is the question some researchers are asking, as they believe that arthritis is often misdiagnosed in people who may in fact be experiencing severe side effects of nightshade consumption.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches