Aa
A
A
A
Close
Cats Community
4.02k Members

Cat with seizures and kidney stones

I have a 2,5 year old female cat that started epileptic generalised seizures 10 months ago. At first they were months apart but now they are more frequent (1-3 per month). We did many tests and the findings were elevated urea and creatinine, elevated calcium and kidney and bladder stones. The vets disagree on her condition, one thinks that the seizures are caused by the kidneys and the other that the kidneys and the seizures are not related. So far she has not started antiepileptic medication. We changed her food to Hill's k/d and her blood tests are much improved. The stones also seem to reduce. However, the seizures insist and I am very worried.
Any ideas or similar cases?
3 Responses
874521 tn?1424116797
COMMUNITY LEADER
I am sending you a link to a very comprehensive site on kidney disease, if there is a connection there should be some mention of it on that site...none that I know of.

http://www.felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm

bladder stones are very painful. does she have the struvite or oxolate stones? perhaps uncontrolled pain could be causing the seizures?
sure hope you find some answers to help this poor little one. ♥
587315 tn?1333552783
Hi, after having many cats with kidney disease, I would say that IF the creatinine and BUN are high enough that can cause seizures.  I'm pretty sure there are no seizures in early kidney disease, at least from what I've seen with my own cats in the past.

Has your cat had any other tests?  Was the rest of your cat's blood work normal?  If everything else is normal, you could consider a CT scan of the brain, if it is offered in your country.

Just some thoughts!

ZQ
Thank you for your answers. Her blood work at the worst, on July, was at the first stage of kidney disease, now it is almost back to normal. Everything else was ok, too, apart from calcium, which was elevated a little but now is also normal. We have not done an MRI of the brain yet, I plan to take her soon to see if we find anything there.
She might have been in pain because of the kidney stones, she was not in a good mood in the summer, but her behavior now tells me that she is not in pain, she runs and plays and never complains in the toilet. The seizures hit her in her sleep, late at night, and there has been no change in our daily routine to stress her.
Have an Answer?
Top Cats Answerers
874521 tn?1424116797
Canada..., SK
506791 tn?1439842983
Saint Mary's County, MD
242912 tn?1402543492
CA
740516 tn?1360942486
Brazil
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child