A
A
A
Close
Cats Community
4.01k Members
365714 tn?1292202708

Diabetic shots for an old cat w/ kidney trouble

In this last year, our cat Waldo has fallen apart. We are treating him for hyperthyroidism for about a year now.  Recently his kidneys have started to give way.  I switched his diet to something for kidney health.  He was still not improving, so we scheduled another appointment earlier than the three months they advised to check his levels.

Now he's developed diabetes. His other levels seem to be stable. We're given two options on what type of shots we want to give him. One is designed for cats, but costs a lot more. The other is designed for human but can be used on cats.  I'm not sure what option would be better.  I'm also left with a decision, if this doesn't work how long I should give it before deciding to let him go.
69 Responses
242912 tn?1402547092
COMMUNITY LEADER
Glad you posted here, MJ.  I didn't check the forum before I commented on your journal.  I hope someone posts before you leave...

We are all struggling with finances and if I were in your shoes, I'd go with the human one since less expensive.  

Good luck!  I hope the shot, whichever you choose, will help Waldo to feel better right away!
365714 tn?1292202708
I went with the cat one as it sounds like it worked better with most of the cats the vet knew.  Thankfully I have my grandma to help back me with some of the expenses. We're starting off with the vets directions, to give him just a tiny bit for the first week, then see them in another week and then see where to go from there.  Let's hope he only needs a little bit of insulin to regulate him.

Grandma seemed to think he looked better already, but I'm not so excited until I see more time pass.  How he looked these last few weeks was really sad.
Hi,
My 11 year old kitty was diagnosed with diabetes mellitus just this past January, and the Vet put her on Lantus insulin.  It's a human insulin and was an excellent choice for my kitty.  Maggie is now in remission since July 12 and taking no insulin.  I did home testing and took her blood glucose myself.  I check her blood glucose every so often to make sure she's okay.  

Good luck with the insulin; what is the name of this insulin?  It sounds like you have a good Vet  who will work with you.  Starting out on a small dose is the best thing to see how your kitty reacts.  It sounds like it was caught early, too.  Keep us posted.
874521 tn?1424120397
COMMUNITY LEADER
Oh to look after a diabetic cat requires alot of love and commitment you are both very dedicated ppl. I'm sorry I can't offer any suggestions MJ, I'm happy you have a good Vet that has treated this before and knows what to advise...I do wish Waldo all our love and wishes that he may soon feel so much better once again...

I did find this website that has Q&A on diabetic cats....perhaps it will give you both some info.
www.yourdiabeticcat.com

Maddie, isn't that great news that Maggie is in remission, didn't know that was possible with diabetes?....
Does she allow you to ***** her (where) to get a small dab of blood for testing?
You'll have to tell us more.

all the best to you both and to your kitties, please keep us posted

♥Opus
242912 tn?1402547092
COMMUNITY LEADER
How's Waldo looking to you today, MJ?  Any better?  As ill as he was, I would think the insulin would help immediately or you would at least see some improvement.  

I'm happy to hear Grandma will help you with the financial aspect.  

Oh look at that - Opus cussing again LOL
874521 tn?1424120397
COMMUNITY LEADER
OMG....It wasn't meant as a cuss word!! so sorry, the word I was using there I guess got **** out, I guess it could be confused with a cuss word(?)

I'll reword it....does Waldo allow you to PIERCE him to get a dab of blood???
there see if that's acceptable..-(    lol.
Have an Answer?
Top Cats Answerers
874521 tn?1424120397
Canada..., SK
506791 tn?1439846583
Saint Mary's County, MD
242912 tn?1402547092
CA
740516 tn?1360946086
Brazil
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child