Cats Community

Diabetic shots for an old cat w/ kidney trouble

In this last year, our cat Waldo has fallen apart. We are treating him for hyperthyroidism for about a year now.  Recently his kidneys have started to give way.  I switched his diet to something for kidney health.  He was still not improving, so we scheduled another appointment earlier than the three months they advised to check his levels.

Now he's developed diabetes. His other levels seem to be stable. We're given two options on what type of shots we want to give him. One is designed for cats, but costs a lot more. The other is designed for human but can be used on cats.  I'm not sure what option would be better.  I'm also left with a decision, if this doesn't work how long I should give it before deciding to let him go.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Glad you posted here, MJ.  I didn't check the forum before I commented on your journal.  I hope someone posts before you leave...

We are all struggling with finances and if I were in your shoes, I'd go with the human one since less expensive.  

Good luck!  I hope the shot, whichever you choose, will help Waldo to feel better right away!
I went with the cat one as it sounds like it worked better with most of the cats the vet knew.  Thankfully I have my grandma to help back me with some of the expenses. We're starting off with the vets directions, to give him just a tiny bit for the first week, then see them in another week and then see where to go from there.  Let's hope he only needs a little bit of insulin to regulate him.

Grandma seemed to think he looked better already, but I'm not so excited until I see more time pass.  How he looked these last few weeks was really sad.
My 11 year old kitty was diagnosed with diabetes mellitus just this past January, and the Vet put her on Lantus insulin.  It's a human insulin and was an excellent choice for my kitty.  Maggie is now in remission since July 12 and taking no insulin.  I did home testing and took her blood glucose myself.  I check her blood glucose every so often to make sure she's okay.  

Good luck with the insulin; what is the name of this insulin?  It sounds like you have a good Vet  who will work with you.  Starting out on a small dose is the best thing to see how your kitty reacts.  It sounds like it was caught early, too.  Keep us posted.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Oh to look after a diabetic cat requires alot of love and commitment you are both very dedicated ppl. I'm sorry I can't offer any suggestions MJ, I'm happy you have a good Vet that has treated this before and knows what to advise...I do wish Waldo all our love and wishes that he may soon feel so much better once again...

I did find this website that has Q&A on diabetic cats....perhaps it will give you both some info.
www.yourdiabeticcat.com

Maddie, isn't that great news that Maggie is in remission, didn't know that was possible with diabetes?....
Does she allow you to ***** her (where) to get a small dab of blood for testing?
You'll have to tell us more.

all the best to you both and to your kitties, please keep us posted

♥Opus
COMMUNITY LEADER
How's Waldo looking to you today, MJ?  Any better?  As ill as he was, I would think the insulin would help immediately or you would at least see some improvement.  

I'm happy to hear Grandma will help you with the financial aspect.  

Oh look at that - Opus cussing again LOL
COMMUNITY LEADER
OMG....It wasn't meant as a cuss word!! so sorry, the word I was using there I guess got **** out, I guess it could be confused with a cuss word(?)

I'll reword it....does Waldo allow you to PIERCE him to get a dab of blood???
there see if that's acceptable..-(    lol.