Cats Community
4.02k Members
I got a kitten two years ago from a breeder. He started to sneeze, have runny eyes and get diarrhea. He was put on antibiotics 2-3 times. Everything but the sneezing went away. When he got to be 9-11 months old one day he acted lethargic so I took him to the vet. He ran a fever and was put on antibiotics. The antibiotics didn't seem to work so he was put on more powerful antibiotics that also didn't work. The vet came to the conclusion that he had FIP after running an X-ray that showed a growth in his stomach. I lost him a month or so later after taking him to cornel university for a second opinion and doing everything I could do to help him. I don't know if he got the corona virus from the breeder or it came from the other 5 cats in the house.
A year and 4 months later I decided to get another kitten..this time from a different breeder. I was concerned from the start of the same thing happening again. I noticed that the new kitten developed diarrhea on and off..seems to be cleared up now. The vet also gave me some drops for his eyes in case he needed them and he developed sneezing although the other cats in the house were sneezing and seemed to have colds and the kitten was put on antibiotics and I noticed that he is still sneezing. He is 6 months old now and I am trying to prevent him from developing FIP. He has been fed life abundance food and takes NuVet Plus as recommended by the breeder. I just scheduled him an appointment next week to get neutered and am wondering if I should go ahead with it or hold off longer to avoid triggering possible FIP due to added stress? The vet seemed to not be concerned when I addressed the FIP experience I had with my other kitten and seemed to think there would be no problems with the new one. I'm just wondering what I should do?
7 Responses
874521 tn?1424116797
hi, so sorry to read abt the loss of your first kitty...FIP is a nasty disease.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions abt your second kitten acquiring this as well, since all the cats in your household are sneezing it seems to me they all have a respiratory virus or cat flu,this spreads rapidly between cats so its no surprise they all have it.. similar to human flu they are the result of viruses...most otherwise healthy cats can overcome this on their own, ones with weakened immune systems can go on to develop a URI (infection) only than would an antibiotic do any good.

the best you can do for all the cats in the household is to support their immune system so they are able to fight this off themselves. especially the kitten. I will give you the name brands of some human supplements that are safe to use on cats...much cheaper to buy the human form, and sometimes even safer b/c many of the so called 'for pets' still contain soy/salt/wheat and other ingredients that aren't good for them.

L-Lysine is very good for the immune system, your Vet will also recommend this and some even sell it, but not but usually theirs are alot more expensive and contain fillers...this is the name of a very good one, if you can't buy it locally from a vitamin supply than I would recommend ordering it from iherb, thats where I buy from. shipping is only $4. for the kitten you can use 250mg a day thats half a scoop, its a powder...mix with a tiny amount of water and give by dropper.
for the adult cats you can give double that. make sure you buy the Carlson Labs brand if you are buying locally.


heres another product that will really help with the sneezing, again this is a human supplement, don't give a full capsule to a cat...open it and for the kitten sprinkle out half and mix with fhe food. the adults can have a full capsule mixed in their food as well.
if your unsure abt using any of these new items, I would start with a lesser dose just to be sure its tolerated well. if the cats won't eat it in their meal it will have to be mixed with a small amount of water and given with a dropped same as the Lysine. if you decide to get locally be sure it the Natures Way brand


best to you and the kitten, let us know how he makes out and please post anytime you may have more questions:))

874521 tn?1424116797
if the sneezing is the only symptom he is showing I wouldn't be overly concerned to go ahead with having him neutered, as long as there is no fever or other complications.
however I STRONGLY recommend you DO NOT subject him to vaccinations at the same time as his surgery, this is a common practice wth most Vet clinics and I advise strongly against it...it is just more than many little guys can handle all at one time, remember vaccinations are very harsh to their systems as it is.
I would wait a few weeks after his surgery and when he has used the supplements for abit and over the sneezes.....:))
7667275 tn?1393196119
Thank you for your advice. My kitten had his surgery and seems to be ok. I am giving him Natures Way Nettle Leaf like you suggested and Viralys L-Lysine. His sneezing seems to be a little better. The other 5 cats are sneezing still. I thought they were getting better but they seem to be worse. The one cat i got in 2004 and she has always constantly sneezed with no relief whatsoever. My father wants to give her away due to sanitary concerns. My mother has taken her to a few vets in the past and they put her on antibiotics i believe and recommended the L-Lysine. The other cats seemed to be around her over the years without catching her sneeze until one of the cats started sneezing 2 years ago which lasted a month or 2 and went away. I am frustrated that i dont know what to do..i dont want the kitten to become like that where he will have a 24-hour sneeze that doesnt go away.My current vet recommended bringing her in to examine however my mother is convinced there is nothing that can be done to help her. She is a very sweet cat other than her sneeze.
506791 tn?1439842983
If there is a chance kitty can be helped with her sneezes, please do that instead of trying to re-home her.
874521 tn?1424116797
this sounds like they all have the same condition called 'cat flu' it is highly contagious if one cat has it than its likely all of them will, and as with a human flu, feline respiratory viruses sometimes require treatment if they progress to an Upper Respiratory Infection or URI.

a cat with a healthy immune system can usually get over this on its own with the help of Lysine to strengthen the immune system, if it becomes an infection than they do need an antibiotic.

I'm glad you've started the Lysine for the kitten, I would STRONGLY suggest that ALL the cats be one this...you can give as high as 500mg for the first week, than reduce to 250mg afterward, you may have to give this all the time to help them stay well.

best wishes♥
Avatar universal
My vet recommends using interferon to help boost immune system. You give it every other week. Seems to work well.
Avatar universal
What your kitty has does not sound like fip to me.
Have an Answer?
Top Cats Answerers
874521 tn?1424116797
Canada..., SK
506791 tn?1439842983
Saint Mary's County, MD
242912 tn?1402543492
740516 tn?1360942486
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child