Aa
A
A
A
Close
Cats Community
4.01k Members

Fibro Sarcoma question for my cat

About 5-6 yrs ago, my cat developed a vaccine induced tumor called Fibro Sarcoma.   We had surgery done to remove the tumor and some surrounding areas.  She has been in great shape every since then.  We have not taken her in for any more shots since that, just for an overall checkup.  My cat is a 15 1/2 yr old persian and people have been suggesting that she should get distemperment shots.  I do not want the tumor to recur.  Is a distemperment shot necessary, is any vaccine necessary, or do I continue giving her nothing?

Thank you in advance.
3 Responses
441382 tn?1452814169
Who is it that suggested that your kitty needs a feline distemper vaccination?  At her age, as long as she is an indoor-only cat, the chances of her coming into contact with the disease is practically nil, and with her history of injection site fibrosarcoma, I would definitely try to avoid injecting her with any type of vaccine.  Why not have your vet do a blood panel and run titers?  The titers will tell you what her level of immunity is, and chances are very good that the vaccinations she has received already in her lifetime will have provided her with a level of protection that is still sufficient.  If it were me, I would definitely not give her any more vaccinations.  Five to six years is an excellent survival time for fibrosarcoma, don't take any chances.  

Ghilly
I am a bone cancer survival. I had Fibrosarcoma of my proximal left femur in 1981-82 and yes cats get it too although slightly different. Fibrosarcoma is a soft tissue form of cancer and in people it is very difficult to treat. However, I don't believe that is the case with cats. Perhaps because it presents itself somewhat differently in animals then it does in people. Please follow your Vets instructions to the etreme necesary.
13420253 tn?1429869323
I came home from a mini vacation,my best friend who loves Godwhin alot i Love him so much hes a part of my soul.When i came home out of nowhere a softball lump and mini gushy lump not open was on Goddys top left side by his spine where they gave him his Leukemia shot he hasnt been eating drinking ive been taking water and food to him since he cant hold his head up so good he rests his chin on the bowel and drink only what he can.I have no money now until i get my settle check and its killing me my hands are tied.Please anyone out there PRAY for GODWHIN please,I leave it in Gods hands now .and if anyone could give me some support with good words please e-mail me at ***@**** God Bless all you lovers of the suffering felines.Thank you paul
Have an Answer?
Top Cats Answerers
874521 tn?1424120397
Canada..., SK
506791 tn?1439846583
Saint Mary's County, MD
242912 tn?1402547092
CA
740516 tn?1360946086
Brazil
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child