Help with Kiki

Last month I posted about my 18 yr old cat, Kiki. She is so skinny I can feel her bones. I took her to the Vet and all tests came back fine. I changed her canned food several times. She finally started eating better a couple of weeks ago when I started warming her food. Now, for the past few days she is refusing to eat anything. She is "crying" and acting like she is hungry, but will not eat. I just tried giving her some oatmeal but she walked away from it. I do not know what to do now. How can I get her to eat? Any suggestions?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi twinbee, what is the most important this moment, is getting calories into Kiki.  Do you have any Nutri-Cal?  What about feeding her with a dropper.  I'm not surprised she didn't like the oatmeal.  She needs something with plenty of odor to whet her appetite.  You can also buy some PUREBITES from Petco or PetSmart which is simply freeze dried fish, turkey or chicken, and nothing else.  I use this to help Jade eat, it works like a charm.  

With Kiki's bloodwork looking good, this is a puzzle for sure.  I am so sorry to say, I might have to lean towards AnnieBrook's comment a bit ago...there could be cancer going on that is not showing up.  
Hi Twinbee,

Really sorry to hear  this about Kiki.  Has she been using her litter box regularly?? Maybe with the changing of foods she is constipated? Maybe that is all it is?
Has the vet checked her teeth?  Maybe she's got some bad teeth going on.  If it's not that, then maybe you just need to get the vet to give her an appetite stimulant.  This worked wonders on my 18 yr old cat.  The drug is called cyproheptadine. Ask your vet about it.  To get her eating again, you should also try human tuna, chicken breast, chicken broth, and baby food(turkey, ham, and chicken).  In my opinion, all cat owners should have these on hand just in case.  Those were always my "go to" foods when my cats won't eat.  

Good luck and I pray that some of our suggestions will work.
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. This morning I tried giving her scrambled eggs. She just walked up to it, looked at it, and walked away. Right now the only thing she will do is drink water and milk. I thought that since she was drinking the milk I would sneak in the oatmeal. But as soon as I did that she walked away. Today I will try giving her some canned tuna since I do have that one hand. I never thought of baby food.
@CML2014, yes I think she is using her litter box regularly. My son is in charge of cleaning it, so I will keep an eye out today and then ask him when he gets home if he sees any changes.
@Zodiacqueen, I did call the vet's office this morning and left a message with the service for him to call me back. I will ask him about the appetite stimulant.
Just feeling a little depressed right now. Besides my problems with Kiki, I have a 13 year old Sheltie dog that was diagnosed with cushings almost 2 years ago. Lately he has been struggling too with his health.
Hi, so sorry to hear about your dog's cushing's. That's really tough to deal with(we have a dog forum, if you need it).  I am glad that you mentioned your dog's illness because that just might be the reason that your kiki is not eating. Maybe your cat is upset about your dog's illness, especially if they are close. Or, your cat could be reacting to your emotions, your being upset over your dog's illness.  Cats get upset easily, any change in their environment can cause them to lose their appetite. This is especially true if the vet can't find anything wrong.

Best wishes, hon.  Come on back w/ any question you might have.  And, check out the dog forum, if you haven't already.  

Keep us posted!
OOO Yea, NO milk please! Everyone thinks Cats=Milk, but NOOO. They do not digest that well at all. That could be part of the problem.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi twinbee, I had another thought.  My kitty stopped eating last year, too.  Blood work and full body xray showed nothing.  It wasn't until we had an ultrasound on her tummy, that Irritable Bowel Disease showed up.  I wonder if this could be the case with Kiki?  

All Great suggestions above in getting Kiki to eat.  CML is absolutely right, No milk!  

Please forgive me for jumping the gun with the cancer.  For some reason, I totally forgot about IBD while posting to you last night.  HUGS
@Jade59, I will ask the Vet about Irritable Bowel Disease and a possible ultrasound. Kiki's x-ray  was fine too. The Vet wants to see her tonight.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Along with an appetite stimulant, ask about the Nutri-Cal.  It is a high calorie supplement.  It got Jade through many days after her dx when she couldn't eat.  It's like very thick honey.  I will explain how we managed should you need to go this route.  I got the idea off this forum to put it on her paw.  Cats hate the feel of it and will lick it right off.  The Vet did what the directions call for which is to smear it on the roof of the mouth, but that is Very traumatic for both kitty and you 3 times a day, plus my husband and I were afraid Jade would choke.  Smearing it on the paw, then up the leg a bit worked like a charm. :)

I hope you'll get some answers tonight for Kiki.  Let us know...

The best place to put the nutrical is to smear it ON the lips.  You put it on the paw. the cat will shake the paw and the stuff will get all over the place.  I use to give hairball treatment on the paw, until it got flung on my clothes and in my hair.  Lesson learned!  LOL
Well, I just got back from the Vets office without Kiki. The Vet suggested and I agreed to keep her there for a few days for observation. He is going to do an ultrasound. Now for me it is a "wait and see" situation. I will keep everyone updated. I thank all of you for all your suggestions and caring words.
Wow I almost had a heart attack when I read you came home without Kiki!
You know what I was thinking!!

That is absolutely the best thing that can be done, good choice. You will know one way or another, and he will be in the best hands until then.

We will be waiting to hear.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Sending up prayers for your girl~

ZQ...you are absolutely right, thank you for that correction.  Of course the first thing Jade would do was shake her paw violently...which is why I applied it outside!  Her being indoor/outdoor, I forget most kitties are indoor.  
Hi twinbee,

How is Miss Kiki!!!!  Just thinking about her....and you

CML
Kiki is home and doing okay. The Vet repeated some blood work and scans and everything came back fine again. He did consult with a Vet at the specialized animal hospital and he agreed that everything looks good. So they are basically saying it is all due to her age. They did give her an appetite stimulate while there and gave some to me to take home. Right now Kiki is eating her cat food again so that is a good thing. Thank you for all your concern. I will keep you updated. Hopefully she will be a good girl and continue to eat!
Thanks for the update Twinbee!  So Good to know Ms. Kiki  is still struttin her stuff.......even IF it is a little lighter!

Please do give us updates---she has a rather large fan base here!!!

xxxxooooto Kiki and you!
Well, I am posting today with a heavy heart. My Kiki passed away today. She just curled into a ball and passed away peacefully. I noticed she wasn't eating well for the past month. It was a struggle. We had to put our beautiful Sheltie dog down last month and I really think Kiki missed him. So these past two months have been very difficult for my family.

I wanted to thank everyone for all there concern, support and suggestions with Kiki. Y'all helped me out alot.

Jan
My feelings, Jan.Last post took me by surprise :-(
The extra time she got was certantly full of love and good care and I'm sure you both enjoyed a lot.
Dear Kiki had a peaceful passage, as you said and now she and the dog are playing happy together somewhere again...
Oh Jan!!!!

I am so very sorry to hear this news. It has also taken me by surprise. Thank you so much for letting us know about Ms. Kiki, she was a favorite here. Guess we Seniors stick together.

You were a wonderful, loving cat MOM, and Ms. Kiki left this world only knowing "love". She had a wonderful full life.

So now I bet she is really struttin her stuff . I envision her back to her sassy, gorgeous  self, enjoying the company of "dog" and other friends who have passed. She will be waiting for you when your time comes!

God Bless Kiki and you,
CML  
COMMUNITY LEADER
Oh Jan, I am so sorry to read this.  My deepest condolences to you for your loss of Kiki and your pup.  What a blessing for Kiki to pass peacefully in her own home where she was loved and adored.  

Let me share the Rainbow Bridge poem with you.  Hopefully it will bring you some comfort during this heartbreaking time.  (((Hugs)))

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Thank you everyone for your kind words. Yes, Miss Kiki did have a wonderful life. Kiki was found walking along side the highway almost 19 years ago. She was only about a month old at the time according to our vet. We nursed her back to health and she became the queen of the house, LOL! And I am sure she is up there with our dog Max tormenting the hell out of him!!!

Talk with my husband today and I think we are going to go and rescue another cat soon. I would love to get one of those ragdoll kittens but I think I am just going to go to the local shelter and get one or maybe even two. I also think I am going to choose older cats that need some loving.

Jan
Wonderful idea, Im sure you will met a perfect one  (or more...)there, at the right time.
Someone like you cannot be away from cats for a long,Im sure...
Just let us know the lucky one, when you get s/he.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Well, Bless your heart with wanting to adopt an older kitty.  Jade was somewhere between 6 and 8 when she came to us, and while she has been expensive with her health issues, my husband and I wouldn't trade her for the world.  She has been the most loving and sweetest kitty we've ever had.  

Do let us know when it happens :)

You are reading content posted in the Cats Community