Just Say NO To Convenia.. This is a dangerous drug...

Hello Everyone,

I was asked to post my information and video about Convenia here. This drug isn't safe due to how long it stays in the system alone. If your cat or dog has a bad reaction it will be very difficult to counteract that. I hope this will help someone avoid the death or harm of their beloved cat or dog. Please inform yourselves about Convenia if you're not familiar with and request that NO CONVENIA be put in the charts. Lets take this drug off the market for good..

My cat Angelina had a reaction to Convenia only 10 days before she passed away. I did a necropsy at Cornell Hospital Pathology Dept. They found that they think she had liver adenoma/ cholangiocarcinoma as well as acute myeloid leukemia. In spite of the fact that she had an end stage liver cancer, it seems, nothing to that effect showed up in her blood work until 4 days after the Convenia shot. At that point her AST was elevated but not tremendously and they thought she had an infection. 4 days after that she had become severely anemic, there was no sign of anemia in any of her blood work before this. She also had a 4 minute claw test, which means she took 4 minutes to stop bleeding.

The findings at Cornell said that they did not believe Convenia caused her anemia, not because it wasn't possible, but because Convenia hasn't been reported to cause anemia. This isn't true, read Dr. Pierson's website, read Pfizer's own foreign market results which state it has caused hemolytic anemia- I have also communicated with someone else whose cat developed hemolytic anemia and who passed away after 4 blood transfusions and I have read other accounts of anemic reactions. So this drug does cause anemia as well as many other severe effects.

When Angie received Convenia she had what seemed to be a cold which wasn't going away, she didn't seem gravely ill at that point. She had had some weight loss in July, but her blood work was normal. We did a thyroid panel in September which was fine. Then she had some hair loss for which I never found out the cause yet.

After Convenia, she developed a high fever, she became extremely doped, she was hiding in the closet and she stopped eating completely. Throughout this she kept seeming to revive as if her body was trying to fight off the reaction. She was given Orbax and her fever lowered and she ate three dishes of food, but then she regressed and started hiding again.. it was at this point I believe the anemia began... I had given her fluids at home and the next day when I brought her for an ultrasound of her abdomen, they thought from an xray that she had possible pancreatitis and had given her more meds for that, she had a large bruise at the site of the fluids.

That day her dvm told me she was severely anemic and she thought Angie was dying... the dvm was very upset- she was crying. I took Angie to a speciality hospital where she was given iv fluids, pain killers and tested. They told me that night they were considering Convenia as a cause of her anemia, I had just read all about it, not having been warned of any of the severe side effects, and I called them to tell them about that. I decided to take her home and try to treat both the cancer and the FeLV( see below) with steroids and other drugs, but I knew the next day she was in too much pain and I had to let her go.

Now that it has been determined that she had a non felv related cancer, as well as acute myeloid leukemia, which could or could not have been caused by FeLV, she had one inconclusive and one positive eliza test but no IFA test, which I was finally informed of the day she left the speciality hospital, I fear that both Pfizer and dvm societies will not believe that Convenia played a role in her death.

I still plan to file reports with Pfizer and with the FDA as well as warn everyone I can not to use Convenia. I will never use this drug again- I had already refused it once in July when Angie developed a cold after receiving two vaccinations. I had stopped vaccinating my cats due to health issues and I decided to do a rabies which I was still doing as well as a distemper. I think that was the trigger for her FeLV, assuming she really had this, because it stimulated her immune system too much. Angie was one of two kits of a feral queen  who was put to sleep in a shelter, I believe that she may have contracted felv from her mom and then fought it off, but the virus hid in her bone marrow to later resurface.

I had never heard of Convenia before that but I rejected it on the basis that it stays in the system too long. I will always regret giving her Convenia, but had I been warned about the severe side effects reported in foreign market studies I NEVER would have allowed it. I think it is crazy that DVM aren't required to warn us about all of this.   Please see my video Just Say NO to Convenia at youtube.

Please inform yourself because no one else is going to unless this drug is removed from the market, which is my goal. Don't risk the health and lives of your beloved fur babies. There are plenty of safe alternatives to Convenia. I would avoid Baytril also as I have read that it causes blindness and possibly other effects.

Please see my video "Just Say NO To Convenia"  linked below for further information on how to treat an adverse Convenia reaction- aggressive probiotic therapy has been used successfully.

Here is a list of adverse reactions reported in the foreign market study conducted by Pfizer: Please report all adverse events to Pfizer and to the FDA. 1-800-366-5288

FOREIGN MARKET EXPERIENCE: The following adverse events were reported voluntarily during post-approval use of the product in dogs and cats in foreign markets:
death, tremors/ataxia, seizures, anaphylaxis, acute pulmonary edema, facial edema, injection site reactions (alopecia, scabs, necrosis, and erythema), hemolytic anemia, salivation, pruritus, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and inappetance.
For a copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) or to report a suspected adverse reaction call Pfizer Animal Health at 1-800-366-5288.

"High doses of Cefovecin sodium (Convenia) can cause nephrotoxicity, neurotoxicity, hepatitis, changes in the blood leukogram and thrombocytopenia." *This is from Pfizer or another drug promoter's own literature- unfortunately for some cats and dogs this happens with one NORMAL dose.

Occasionally, cephalosporins and NSAIDs have been associated with myelotoxicity, thereby creating a toxic neutropenia4. Other hematological reactions seen with cephalosporins include neutropenia, anemia, hypoprothrombinemia, thrombocytopenia, prolonged prothrombin time (PT) and partial thromboplastin time (PTT), platelet dysfunction and transient increases in serum aminotransferases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk4MnjGUCGo
What a relief to read your post - to get some hope.  My daughter's kitty received a shot of convenia on 7/8/14, 7 weeks, 53 days ago.  I noticed a change in his affect and behavior immediately.  It got progressively worse for 3-4 weeks and then improved a little and has been stagnant since.  We did bloodwork about 3 weeks ago because he was so lethargic I was alarmed.  His values were all normal but the homecare vet wasn't able to get enough blood from him to check for anemia.  He is still eating and drinking, but not very enthusiastic. He walks from place to place in the house, but only lies down when he gets there.  He is depressed, and while he is only just 4 years old, he is completely uninterested in playing, even with his favorite lazer and feather toys.  I am praying another few weeks will bring us around the corner to better health, but am terrified we are looking at a long term situation that I could have prevented.  I do recognize that we are fortunate that he has been stable and hopefully at this point won't take a turn that causes us to lose him.  It's just alarming that he is so depressed and so completely disinterested in our other cats or playing with his little girl.   I appreciate the suggestions I've read here and will start him on probiotics immediately.  Please give an update on how your little doggie is doing.  My condolences to everyone who has lost their pet - this is a heartbreaking and unnecessary situation.  
My 10 week old kitten (a rescue) developed a high fever (105+), loss of energy, complete loss of appetite and a popping sound from his nose on exhalation.  In short, a severe sinus infection.  My vet gave him a shot of Convenia, and within 8 hours he was 100% better.  He was eating and playing like normal.

This is NOT a bad drug in general.  My heart goes out to those who have lost their companions, as I've been through it many times, but elderly cats and cats with severe diseases (like cancer) are frail.  Just because they were given this drug and died, doesn't mean the drug caused it.  And honestly, if your pet didn't start to improve within 24 hours after initiation of an injectable antibiotic, then you should have taken him/her back to a vet.  It's irresponsible to do anything else when you see that the treatment isn't working.  Place the blame where it really belongs.

This drug saved my kitten's life.  End of line.
thanks for your post
the worst thing about Convienia is it stays in the system for weeks....if a cat was taking an antibiotic pill and had an adverse reaction...one would simply not give the next pill...than the system would clear itself of the remains of the drug, but Convienia you can't do that...its already in their system and will remain there for 6 weeks!!!!!
Thats why pets are getting so sick or dying, because it stays in their systems for so long and if the adverse reaction is severe enough it can be fatal.
A cat (like a human) can have an adverse reaction to ANY medication!!!

read Dr. Piersons write up....titled 'Is it worth the risk?'

http://catinfo.org/?link=convenia
My 12 1/2 year-old cat, Oreo, was given Convenia Saturday October 4, 2014 and died Tuesday morning, October 7, 2014.  We took her to the vet for a possible ear/eye infection 10/4 and told him she doesn't tolerate shots well.  The last time she got her routine shots there she lost a bunch of weight.  She suffered from extreme anxiety from being at the vets and had to be sedated because she would not let anyone touch her-tried to bite.  The vet told us to come back in an hour to pick her up and he would treat her for the ear and eye problem.   When I picked her up, she was meowing and seemingly okay.  I noticed she didn't eat or drink much later that day.  On Sunday, she wasn't eating or drinking and seemed a little wobbly when she walked.  When I got home from work Monday, she couldn't hold her head up and seemed to be blind.  I fed her food, but her mouth didn't seem to work right.  I did give her chicken broth which she drank.  When she tried to walk she wobbled and fell down.  I called the vet and found out she was given Convenia, and I immediately researched it and found this site.  I knew right away from reading these posts that she was dying.  I cried hysterically of course and when the vet called me back, I told him I read Convenia can lead to death, and I felt for sure my cat was dying.  He told me he had used it for five years and had no problems with the drug ever.  He told me to bring her in the next morning, but she didn't make it to her 9:30am appointment.  It was a horrific way for her to die.  My husband and I went to the vet appointment anyway and told him what had happened.  He seemed very sorry, but I'm not sure he will be cautious about administering this drug in the future-I hope so anyway.
Compassionate much?
I am so very sorry to read about what happened to your Oreo.....this is so sad. The Vets all say these adverse reactions are very rare...however they are happening all too often!! Good on you for making that Vet aware...just maybe it will open his eyes eventually and he and all clinics will stop using this drug

Again I am very sorry for your loss and the horrible death Oreo didn't need to endure

RIP little one
Thank you.  She was my girl and I will miss her terribly.  I hope Vets tell people that this drug does have risks even if they think they are rare.
Bump
Thank you for the very informative post, I didn’t know how dangerous this drug is, people should be warned before giving to their pets.
bump again...thx Jade for remembering to do this, we have to bump this up regularly!!!!
I just stumbled across this thread by chance and I may belong to the unfortunate ones who just read this thread too late to save a precious life:
My cat Princess had 3 teeth removed on October 1. She was put under Convenia. From the outset she refused to eat but with some effort I managed to get about 20g food into her. Obviously, after dental surgery her refusal to eat came as no surprise. However, it did not improve and after some 2 weeks things seemed to become worse so she received another dosis of Convenia. Again, hopes were that it was just a question of time for the mouth to heal and her eating normally again. Another 2 weeks passed and she got another shot of Convenia. The vet stated that her mouth had healed fully and that this could no longer be the reason for her refusing to eat. A few days later, on November 1, her condition had deteriiorated so badly that I brought her to a clinic where she was left to die for 400 Euros, but that the clinic did not help her is another story. This post is about me wondering until today why she would not want to eat if her mouth had healed already, I suspected that she might equate food with pain, but looking at these reports it would seem that Convenia may well have been the cause for her death. An autopsy was made and also concluded that the mouth had healed up well enough to exclude it as a possible reason for her refusal to eat and they were also unable to determine any possible cause for her refusal to eat. Also, halfway through her ordeal her blood tests showed only one value slightly elevated, by the time she died her blood values were through the roof.
So sorry to read about Princess.  I've lost 3 of my girls to other illness since January 2012, so you definitely have my sympathy and empathy.

You have found one of the best informed and most community minded Cat Forums in the world in my mind.  We are not veterinarians, just well informed (and opinionated) lay persons, but in the almost 6 1/2 years I've been here, no one has ever steered me wrong.

May the fond memories you have of Princess bring you some relief from sadness.
Your story of Baby Boo is could have been written by me as I have experienced the very thing with my little Princess, the only difference being that Princess suffered an entire month and was even used during her last days as a goldmine by a reckless greedy clinic in Germany. A basic autopsy was done and i have now asked the autopsy place to have all other tests performed that may shed light on her demise but reading these comments about Convenia that are so similar - and in your case almost a carbon copy of my experience - seem to have solved the riddle how a perfectly healthy cat can have 3 teeth removed and end up dead a month later.
I am glad you found this thread.  At least it's given you some answers.  If it's ANY consolation, you adding your story here will hopefully shed light and help the next grieving parent who's kitty was given Convenia.

I am so very sorry for the loss and suffering of your sweet Princess.    

Hugs to you~
Thank you for your kind words. I know very well how you feel, I've lost Princess on November 3 and her sister Victoria died of Saddle Thrombosis only 3 weeks later. They grew up in London with another sister and their Mother who adopted me in 2002. When we were being kicked out by our landlady - she was keen to sell the house we lived in as she could make a fat profit - I found a dirtcheap and totally idyllic property in Germany which I bought, thinking it was the best thing I could do for them so that had their own beautiful place where nobody would bother them.
In London i was used to vets knowing their job and no vet there has ever endangered the life of any of my ladies, so I could not imagine that Gemnany would be so different.
When Mother and Princess were diagnosed with ginigivitis I found a specilaist dentist vet who tried to combat the problem by only extracting - at my request - the teeth she considered absolutely necessary. Both cats were given Convenia. Mother has until now not shown any adverse signs and I was about to bring her to a vet to give her another shot, thankfully I read this in time. Even though she seems to be amongst those cats that have no problems with this stuff I think that, after reading all this here, it would be nothing short of reckless to give her more of that stuff assuming it's gonna be alright.
At this stage I'm nothing short of desperate, not only is the fact that I've failed those two gentle creatures not going out of my mind, the other problem I'm facing is that I cannot find a trustworthy vet who would be in a distance that can be reached by car without compromising the well being of the animals. I've never imagined that Vets in a country like Germany could be that incompetent, reckless and greedy. I've now reached the point where I will no longer leave an animal in the care of a vet alone as long as I am in this country, well knowing that I might deprive it of life saving measures. But as the vets did anything but when they were alone with my now deceased children I think it's better the others die in my arms.
I seriously hope it won't come that far, but I'm battling a Stomatitis with Mother, have you guys any suggestions what would be the best way forward?
Back to the original issue of this thread, as I am in Germany I obviously cannot follow the suggestions with the FDA etc, is there anything else I can do?
It seems to have been the answer, but certainly not what I hoped for. As with many here, the vet did not ask me or inform me about Convenia, I also would have never expected a vet to use a risky medication without asking me, no London vet I know would do this. What's worse, knowing that it 'works' for 2 weeks and as Princess was big trouble with tablets (the last tablet I got into her took me over half an hour to get into her) I specifically asked for Convenia to be given. It was so convenient for me...
More than half a dozen vets were eventually involved, not a single one mentioned a word about the side effects.
It's almost as unbelievable as, when Victoria died, the vet insisted there was no other option available as to suppress the pain and to hope for the clot to dissolve. She even insisted that nobody ever attempted to operate on a Saddle Thrombosis...a quick google provides a very different picture,
It's stunning that we pay so much money to these vets - my german vet bills during my time here (8 months) already exceed the total of my uk vet bills (12 years),
I have a cat rescue and have had several cats treated with Convenia, but the other day (1/29/2015) I took my cat, Yani, to the vet because he had an abscess from a cat bite. Yani was five years old and very healthy. The vet cleaned the wound and gave him a Convenia shot.

She sent me home with Yani telling me he would be just fine. When we got home I let him out of the carrier and left him alone. I figured he needed some rest. When I checked on him a few hours later, he was dead and already well into rigor mortis. I was beside myself with grief!

I went straight away to my Vet. She checked the paper that comes with Convenia and showed me that death was listed as a possible reaction! She was shocked. She had not done her due diligence and not realized herself the danger and had certainly not informed me. Yani was easy to handle and I could have easily given him an oral antibiotic.

This experience has made me wonder if a couple of my cats who were quite ill might not have died also because of the Convenia, whereas I thought it was because of the illness. My vet and I both reported to Zoetis. Their Vet said that death does happen, but it is rare. I think it is happening a lot more often than they are letting onto. I felt I was given the run around. I suspect they are not forwarding the ADEs to the FDA. They wouldn’t tell me how many reports have been made. I have also filed a report with the FDA and will encourage my Vet to do the same.

To find out how many reports have been made, I would have to make a request under the Freedom of Information Act, which has a cost. I don’t know how much, but am considering it.
I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet Yani.  Good for you and your vet for going above and beyond in reporting this.  

For the next person reading this, please make sure to have your vet write in Big Red Letters "NO CONVENIA" in your pets chart.  And don't just take the vets word it's been written down.  Check the chart and make sure you see it for yourself.  
Bump
Bump...
Bump
Thanks Jade for keeping this information on Convenia in the forefront!.

That is where it needs to be ....I knew nothing about Convenia until I read it here. I have added Convenia to the LIST of meds not to be given to Mia.

I know my vet thinks I am an alarmist--better safe than sorry
The stomatitis is generally cured when you have all teeth extracted. The cause is not 100% understood, but a severe reaction to either the plaque or the enamel is among the most likely culprits. Fact is, extraction of all teeth pretty much takes care of the problem, the cats often eat even kibble afterwards (given the size of the kibble, not a problem), but could also be fed canned (generally healthier anyways). That would stop the need for antibiotics. Or you just would give daily antibiotics by mouth for life..
On another note.. where did you find cheap property in Germany? Is that east or west?
So very sorry to hear of the loss of some of your pets. My cat Earl just got the shot today and he's lethargic tonight and feels warmer than usual. Jade I saw that you said you would pray for the pets, I'm hoping you would pray for my Earl. I'm calling the vet in the morning, I'm never giving my cat this shot again! He's still eating and drinking and using the litter box, no diarrhea or vomiting. I'm so terrified. I'm going to ask a vet about starting probiotics right away. This drug needs to be off the market. I will also call the FDA and let them know this is ridiculous!! Thanks for everyone's comments and I just ask for prayers for Earl and I to will pray for all your pets. Thanks for the article about this drug! I had no idea. I'm pretty mad at my vet right now.  
My darling Murphy, my shadow, my soul mate awoke with a benign mass in back of his mouth weeks ago. He underwent surgery five weeks ago.  This week I noticed the mass returned and rushed him in to see a stand-in vet since his usual is on holiday. The stand-in showed me the new mass, saying it is still a polyps but now says it could be from inflammatory disease since my baby also has inflammatory spine, tummy and allergy issues though rare; three times in 11 years.  This stand-in vet, although Murphy's chart clearly notes his sensitivities to certain drugs and environment, went ahead with little to say specifically and NO word at all on any side affects, to inject him with long-lasting morphine (lasts 3 days in system) as well as CONVENIA !!  She KNEW of his sensitive tummy to drugs and she KNEW the antibiotics after surgery had to be pulled because of a reaction but chose to go ahead with such a terrifying drug as CONVENIA anyway?! Incompetence?  

As soon as we returned home, Murphy eliminated a tiny cow paddy. He has not had a bowel movement since. Within an hour he changed into a cat I do not recognize and slowly began to avert food, then even water!  HIs favorite thing is to sip from a running tap and even when I hold him at the tap he pushes me away and takes off. All the second day he was wedged under the bed. My Murphy truly is my shadow, like a dog, more so than a dog and even must be in the same room with me. NOW? Now he remains half passed out at the back screen door for hours on end as  though he sees something I do not. He generally sleeps 80% of a day normally, Now he cannot sleep.   Thank God he still loves brushings as it makes me feel he is 'in there' somewhere, grounded.

WORRIED AND IN TEARS ALL DAY, I finally decided to try to feed him with a syringe after pureeing his food in my processor and forcing water into him the same way.  I await a call back from that vet, but did give them a piece of my mind over the phone just now, particularly knowing of his allergies and what happened with meds after the first surgery!

If anything happens to my dear, dear Murphy-Muffin, I will die myself.  I do not think I will handle it.. Please God help me keep Murphy alive and get through this nightmare!  

Thanks for listening all.

Karen
oh karen I am so sorry to read abt poor little Murphy. Vets who continue to use this drug make me so very angry.....
I've no experience with it other than what I've read...and many have said to use a probiotic..so I will recommend a good one and where to buy it in powder form. just a sprinkle mixed in the food is good or when not eating well mix with a small amount of water and give via a dropper

http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-Primal-Defense-Powder-HSO-Probiotic-Formula-81-g/3159

I'm glad you decided to start 'assist feed' and give water too...poor little mite just doesn't feel hungry right now, but hopefully she is able to clear this drug from her system and will soon get back to eating and recover fully for you..

I am praying for her Karen ((hugs))♥
Bump
My cat just had his teeth cleaned, and extractions.  I refused the Convenia, and was sent home with ClindaCure.   He also received an antibiotic injection, which my receipt didn't say what the name of it was, but I'm assuming it was just a one day shot because I'm supposed to start the ClindaCure tomorrow.  Is the ClindaCure okay?
I just did an online search for "injectable antibiotics for cats" and the only one that was found was Convenia. I hope your vet didn't ignore your wishes and give your kitty this!!

Here's the link I found.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cefovecin
zodiacqueen, I went back and looked at my bill, it just says Antibiotic injection(Pen)   The last time I had Leos teeth cleaned and I didn't know anything about Convenia I didn't tell them not to give him it, so they gave him a Convenia shot and the Antibiotic injection(Pen) also.  I'm hoping they are two different things because I would be VERY mad if they gave him the Convenia after I requested not to.
I would be a stark, raving lunatic if they disregarded my wishes, too.  

I feel better about it now that it looks like 2 different antibiotics.  I am curious about that antibiotic injection pen.  What is it?  I thought the only one that existed was the Convenia.  If you find out, can you let us know?  I bet it's not long-acting like Convenia is.
Maybe I'll call and ask.  The vet told me to start the ClindaCure the next day because Leo had already had an antibiotic for that day, so I'm assuming it isn't a long acting one like Convenia.  Leo  had such a bad life in his early years, so I baby him big time and I'm sure my vet thinks I'm nuts, but that's okay.
Hey Linda...I'm almost positive your kitty was given an injection of PENICILLIN.  It is administered via Capsules, Oral Liquid or INJECTION.   Still call your vet to be on the safe side, but I'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about. :)  

I hope kitty is doing well!  

That would make sense on what the PEN stand for. I'm going to find out when I go down there next week for pills for another cat.  I also want to find out how many teeth he has left, my guess is only about 5, but he's doing very well.  Thanks for the help, I'll let you know what I find out.
Oh geeeeze, why didn't I think "pen" meaning penicillin.  That makes too much sense!!  LOL

PS-Did the tooth fairy visit your baby?  That would give you more of an excuse to spoil him.  =)
I don't need an excuse to spoil him, he is the best cat I've ever had, although I can't  let the others know that.  
It's so hard to love them equally!!  It's always that one that yanks our heart strings.  
I went back to the vet today, the shot Leo received was Penicillin.  The receptionist said he has 8 teeth left, I forgot to ask her how many teeth a cat has.  Anybody know?
Thanks for coming back to let us know about the Penicillin injection.  Guessing it was short-acting?  Maybe lasting a day or two?

I just looked up info about cat's teeth and saw that adult cats have 30.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/cat-teeth
It had to be a very small dose because he only charged $5, and the last time he charged $20.  Thanks for letting me know about how many teeth they have, I doubt Leo's 8 are doing him much good if he should have 30.

Rachelle just turned 18. Her appetite was poor and she had been losing weight, and we took her to the vet 9/3/15. The blood work came back with elevated BUN and creatinine levels, also indicated pancreatitis. She was prescribed metranidazol to treat the pancreatitis, oral application twice daily. Also she had some oral pain medication for home administration.

The evening after coming back from the vet, she used the litter box and some of the poop got stuck in her fur. Like a good uncle I washed her bottom.

The vet had prescribed Convenia for home administration. I gave the shot September 4 in the morning. Later that day Rachelle started sneezing continually, and her eyes started to run. Concerned that she may have caught a cold due to my bathing her, I took her back to the vet Saturday 9/5. The diagnosis was feline herpes virus brought on by stress.

Today is October 4. Her condition has continued to deteriorate. She can barely walk, and jump onto a low footstool. She does continue to drink and eat some, her gait is wobbly. As I look at my little friend of 18 years right now, I can feel the tears well up ...

Not sure whether this is a result of Convenia (oh, went back to vet by myself to spares her the stress, and was given another dose of Convenia Friday). After reading this I cannot give it to her, although the cold symptoms persist. There i's a small ray of hope in that the eye infection appears to be improving.
I am so very sorry to read this....I do hope she continues to improve and please do NOT give her any further doses...

I agree a latent herpes virus can be brought on by stress...I will copy and paste a posting I did earlier...the very best you can do for her is to support her immune system with the amino acid L-lysine. good luck to your sweet girl,keep us posted ok

feline herpes virus...nothing to be concerned about, quite common with cats born from infected mothers or cats from shelters...
My older boy is a carrier and the new kitten I recently took in also is a 'suspect'
its common to see the runny eyes...and if it gets worse it can turn into a full blown upper respiratory infection that (at that point) would need antibiotics...but for now all you need to do is support her immune system than she should be able to fight this off herself.
If you have a good Vet they WILL suggest L-lysine an amino acid...this works very well to build their immune systems and much better for the kitty than to slap them with an antibiotic off the bat....(unless there is an active respiratory infection) but doesn't sound like it if she's not sneezing or having problems breathing
The Vet clinic should have this L-lysine on hand there. the ones sold thru Vet clinics do work  but they are full of fillers and because they are sold as 'pet'' products it drives the price way up.
you can order PURE lysine from a human supplement site...this one is very safe for cats, I use it for mine and its WAY cheaper.
comes in powder form, theres a scoop inside....measure just a bit less than one half scoop that will equal approx 500mgs. mix that in her food or mix with a small amount of water and give with a dropper for 1 week after a week cut it down to just a bit less than quarter of a scoop...equal to approx 250mg and give that for a week or until all symptoms stop...can give that long term if her system needs it
I order this really good one, thats safe for cats from iherb in california, the shipping costs are only abt $4. and the Lysine is only $6.44

http://www.iherb.com/search?sug=l-lysine%20powder&kw=lysine%20powder&rank=1&bid=CAR#bid=CAR&p=1

It seems to me that many of these cats were mis-diagnosed to start with. If they already have a serious illness such as liver disease or leukemia nothing is going to cure them.  In fact when liver involvement is present almost any drug will have a negative reaction.
I'm so sorry some of you had a bad experience and some lost their pets but I don't think this one drug is responsible. It may have made an already bad situation worse but I believe in many of these cases they would have lost their pet regardless.  They were terminally ill.
I hope your kitty isn't one that has problems with this drug, read through these posts to see if there is any antidote just incase...
My dog became very ill from Convenia. He was so close to death. I hope this drug is taken off the market. He couldn't even stand up open his eyes. He acted so drugged. I never saw a dog so ill.
Bump...
Thank you for sharing this.  What an awful experience.  There are some quinolone (sp?) antibiotics that can cause tendon rupture in humans.
I am very sorry for your loss
You spelled it right, honey!
Thanks Jade, I appreciate, I wasn't sure.  I know that coveres quite a few of the antibiotics.  One is levaquin.  That is the one I had problems with.  I hope your weekend is better.
How did Clyde do, I was going to mention some ways to help, but I saw the date on your post. I hope he recovered. Praying.
Bump