Med for worms

Well I wanted to run something by you good gals see what you thought as I do value your knowledge. Tweety has been eating like a little horse, and she is in really good spirits not a bit unwell .but she hasnt been wormed for a while .So I went to the pet store and found a worming med .its called Pro-Pet Roundworm...Liquid De Wormer and a Dr jeff Weber is on the front of the bottle ..the ingreds are 250mgs Piperazine base and Piperazine citrate..Ther ius a warning about side effects but I expect all meds have that .What do you think, i am loathe to go to the vet as she may not have them , she freaks out so much .thanks a lot
If an adult cat has worms, it is a lot more likely to be tapeworms than roundworms.  You can get roundworm medicine over the counter, but I think most tapeworm medicine is sold by the vet.  (Maybe the 800 PetMeds people would sell some Drontal, I'm not sure.)  Kittens get roundworms but cats, not so much.  Worming Tweety for the wrong worm is a waste of energy and money.  Best bet is to take a fresh stool sample to the vet, and explain that Tweety gets really freaked out and ask if they can check it for any worm evidence.  When they test it they can tell you what Tweety has, if any.
Dang!!  I had a whole post typed out and I lost it!  

Ok, in a nutshell (lol) OTC worming meds are a waste of time since you don't know what kind of worm Tweety has, if any.  You've bought a Roundworm med when she could have Hookworms or Tapeworms.  Only a vet can tell what type of worm you are dealing with by looking at a fecal sample under a microscope, then giving a pill or shot to target that particular worm.  

Now what you can do, is call your vet and see if they'll accept a fecal sample that You will collect and bring in, leaving Tweety out of the visit.  

I know something about Tapeworms as Jade had them.  If Tweety has a particular spot she likes to sleep, put down a white towel to see if you find any little orange balls later.  This is indicative of Tapeworms.  The *segments* fall out while kitty is sleeping, but this is not the entire worm, just a segment of it.  

Ugh, first post was better.    
...and AnnieBrooke to the rescue, meanwhile :)
Thank you so much Jade and Annie ..see I knew you would know  she seems okay and I know they always said they eat more if they have worms , and shes hungry a lot.I am going to call them later and ask about getting a sample for them and look out for little orange balls ,as she sleeps on my bed I hope I dont find any LOL
I'll tell you a lovely story.  My cats often get tapeworms, since we live in the country and they are all mousers.  (It's pretty safe for a cat to have an indoor-outdoor life here, except for the coyotes, of course.  lol)  We worm them with Drontal for tapes about every third month.

Anyway, Paloma came in for the night and curled up on my stomach in bed, all snuggly and sweet.  She began to groom herself, and as she licked her hind leg, I saw a tapeworm segment on her fur.  Then, she licked it up and ate it.  Chomp chomp chomp, smack smack.

Such fun to share your bed with a cat that just ate a tapeworm segment that came out of her bottom.

LOL!  Yum!  Isn't is the best when they want to lick you afterwards?  

Abby, our first cat came to us as a kitten and for quite a while, I had no idea what the little orange flecks on the towel she slept on were, but found out soon enough.  

So fortunately, when Jade showed up with our next door neighbors, I knew what I was dealing with.  Her tail curls back naturally like a skunk, so you can see them crawling right out.  Poor girl was completely infested, was so ill and literally stunk to high heaven!  That was nearly 6yrs ago.  It's been six months now, and I think it's time for some Drontal!!
oooohhhhhhhh ..maybe I will have a scream if that happens I think you are trying to freak me out .....so they get them quite often ..oh brother, well the vet said yes I could pick up a container or bring some poop in in a clean plastic container. Thing is Tweety is in/out cat and she poops outside mostly..I guess I will have to follow her around, due to a few stalker cats hanging around lately she has been staying on the garden a lot more, it may not be too difficult as long as she doesnt bury it fast .what is it with cats burying their poop,.
Lol...we're not trying to freak you out, Margy this is all the truth.  Outdoor kitties like all of ours can't help but get worms which is why you want to deworm every 3-6mos.  Much more for kitties health though, than the gross factor.  

If you choose to pick up a container from the vet, get a couple so you have them for *next* time :)
For the first time in my cat parent life things seems to be easier here in my country .. about the cat's worms in general and mines in particular.
Drontals and co are easily get in pets shops and others ( well, they are lacking the 2 most famous ones, Drontal and Endal for some months but I hope this dont last)
Since they are the ones vets used to prescribe,no one take the animal for a doctor just for this.In doubt its easy pick the sampler and take it directly to a lab ( the pet one we have dont accept if not coming from  a vet, but some humane labs do animal tests like that
The container is  quite cheap and we get for free at the lab most of times - if not we can buy at a drugstore.

About my girls, the kids had a period when they were always getting those - but only Dipilidiuns, the only I used to see was the tiny white like seed larvae on the poos.
Nothing orange around, mercifully...And no one eating them :-)

Btw, I better buy another box of the antiworm similar to those while they still have it - its a little cheaper and I need 2 boxes every time.
ha ha jade I know its the truth thats my strange European/American  humor lol ..well my roots anyway..so I still haven't got a sample of poop' am trying trust me .. I have decided if she has got worms to let the vet deal with it, either give me some med or I will have to bite the bullet and take her in .That was interesting feedback Apple, thank you ,do they have Drontal and Endal in the pet stores in the US ...actually I havent been aware of worms it was that she is eating a lot more than usual and I thought it was a symptom ..she seems happy enough ..
Drontal is not over-the-counter (such as, at pet stores or feed stores) in the United States, although it might be available from some of the online sources that sell pet medicines.  Thing is, again, one has to be pretty familiar with what tapeworms look like to be sure you're giving the right thing.  After several rounds of tapes, you can tell what they are by seeing them on the cat or in the feces, but until then I wouldn't guess.  Why not shut the cat in for a few days, and just fish a sample out of the litter box?
I managed to get a bit yesterday when she went out after lunch, not much and I couldnt see any worm like critter in it..anyway we dropped it off and left it with the receptionist she said they would let me know when it was tested. She is licking her fur a lot last few days but as I say happy as a sand boy.Thanks for all your help ...
We do have Drontal over-the-counter - here in Brazil :-)...
And many other things we should NOT have, as hormonal bombs in shot form for avoiding pets wheat/pregnancy.
Worse: those shots are not expensive so we animal lovers are still in the process of convincing poor-or not poor as well-people NOT TO USE THOSE POISONS instead of neutering /spaying the animal.
Many are afraid of the surgery specially if done in public campaigns ( they have some reasons for,however) and prefer stuff hormones in ...
The time I'm not here and miss my folks and stories "from the civilizated word " ( the one were all folks love and care for animals) is because i'm probably at Brazilian Yahoo Answers spreadindg this kind of info and others I 've got on the way.

Well I think its great you spread this kind of info around that's so important , I try to do a bit of that here with the Mexicans , but its mostly about the horribly neglected dogs/horses around here ., also cats but the cats do seem to survive a bit better .Looks like Tweety has not got worms it was negative, they said if  I am concerned about her take her in for a check up.So I will watch her and If she seems unwell and even if she freaks out I will take her in to be examined ...thanks all ...
Great news about Tweety, Marg.  Instead of taking Jade in for a Drontal shot and put her through the side effects (which aren't bad), I think I'm going to try for a sample instead and take that in for testing.  I hardly ever catch her *going*, but did once last week, so will try since I've got several of those sample bottles.  Your post has encouraged me.  

What seemed to prompt you to write your OP, was Tweety eating more than usual.  Jade is doing the same and has gained weight if it makes you feel any better.  I believe it's the time of year, since this has been normal for her during Winter.  But if you haven't taken Tweety in for bloodwork in some time, it would be a good idea. :)
Yes Jade she was eating and hanging round for food a lot , I leave dry food down all the time and she nibbles when she wants to , then morn and evening I give her wet food,not a lot,she has put on wait, but seems so happy in herself and in fact has been very frisky .She also seemed to be drinking more but that has eased off.Really I ought to read up on cats ..I don't have much knowledge other than what you gals tell me here ..shes my first cat.well I will see what happens and perhaps at some stage I will get her in for a check up before we move ,that;ll be another 'trauma 'she wont like travelling one bit I don't know who will be freaked out most her or me .....
Loreena was my first one as well - my ever expected furry baby :-)
I  barely had time to get used to and the kittens came - sort of "intensive course"...
Thank God we found a place like this, I learn/ learned a lot here...

Ps Did someone say " a shot " of Drontal? Here it comes just in pills, as well as many others
Apple, I looked up Jades records, and the injection was *Droncit".  

A google search brings up other methods of deworming, but whether or not you can find them OTC in Brazil, or even how effective they are, I don't know.  Here you go...

"Many other formulations of worming medications are now available such as liquids, pastes and granules (Panacur; Intervet Schering-Plough), injections (Droncit; Bayer) and spot-ons (Droncit; Bayer, Profender; Bayer, Stronghold; Pfizer)"

I remember like yesterday when Loreena came to you pregnant and all that ensued.  Hope the girls are well, Apple.  You too, Honey. ♥
I prefer the holistic methods. Cook some rice and let it cool. Add lemon juice and freshly ground clove from the health food store. I also add cooked chicken livers, tuna, egg and honey for nutrition and flavor. Making a nice size pot full and freezing portions makes it easy to give this once a week. I also grow certain spices indoors and allow my kitties to eat those as they fight parasites too. They are 5 years old and have never been diagnosed with worms. Just my .02
Also, drinking 32 oz of pure and natural Pomegranite juice everyday for 10 days will kill tapeworms in humans. It's expensive (about 10 bux a 32 oz bottle) but worth it. Tapeworms come from swallowing fleas.
I thought I typed garlic then remembered i wanted to give the "how to" of garlic... peel it, crush it, chop it and let it sit for 20 minutes before mixing it in (don't add onions but the same is true for onions). When you cut these, enzymes are released which mix with the healthy components and make them more absorbale by the system. This is true for cooking for humans as well.
Hello and welcome.  Thanks very much for your input here.  I am highly concerned with the garlic though (and onions if you mean you use them).  I have Always heard to never give garlic to a cat, so I did some quick research and while yes, it is used as a flea repellent holistically, I read site after site warning how it affects the red blood cells and can lead to anemia.

I also read, for those who want to take this approach, blood tests on a regular basis are recommended.  Personally, I would never, ever give my cat garlic or onions.  Below is just one reading...

"According to Dr. Randy Kidd, the use of garlic, as well as onions, shallots, and chives, has been shown to cause damage to feline red blood cells which can result in hemolytic anemia and eventual death. Raw garlic and onions can also cause ulcers and irritation of the mouth, esophagus and stomach."

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/cats-garlic-and-onions.html#ixzz1kORZ3b7e
yes Jade is absolutely RIGHT about the garlic or onions...very TOXIC to cats...PLEASE read this write up too....

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=2414
We have Panacur ( liquid and pills - kids used that when babies) and the spot ones here as well ( at least Profender, not sure about others)
And people praying the use of garlic for this fiction.
Since I personaly HATE this ( just a little less than onions) never considered giving then to my cats.
Also , I also had reading  on some trusthful places they are part of not safe stuff for cats - and, of couse , I do agree... :-)
function, no fiction  - humane doctors make  us crazy...
Just arrived from one and the fellow has such a bad handwriting than the receptionists had been doing requests for faecal test instead of prolactin blood tests
I was wondering why in hell was he wanting a 3 sample one test - the one I learned with my cats is supposed to detect Giardia- since I have no claims related to and no bloody in my own poo :-)
Instead of putting up a new thread would you tell me which is the best way you know if a cat gets fleas, I am not aware of any on Tweety but when I first got her, the Vet put front line on her neck and I continued , she hated it , it was a continual battle and she didn't seem well.So whats the best way to treat fleas or scratching .
Something I know that will help is to control the critters in the environment.  Mine is an indoor only cat, so once I got rid of them, they were gone for good and we haven't been bothered by the varmints since.  I carefully followed directions for using diatomaceous earth.  Even though I had read something about using it on the animal itself, I had the good sense to NOT do that.  After all, if I'm supposed to use a dust mask while applying, then the animals shouldn't be breathing the stuff into their lungs either.  I have no carpeting, but I place the stuff in strategic places where fleas could hide, like inside the stuffed furniture crevices.  After washing the cat bedding, I placed it UNDER the clean bedding.  I placed some under the refrigerator.  It's a small apartment unit one on rollers.  And, I placed some under my shoe rack.  I have since cleaned up the stuff under the shoe rack and under the pet bedding.  I am unconcerned with the stuff inside of the furniture, since it isn't bothering anyone.  No one would be the wiser that I ever applied the stuff.

Okay, that's for inside.  And, it will work against other insects as well.  It dries out their bodies very quickly and is effective for all the stages of a an insect's life.

Tall grass, damp grass, and especially damp lawn in the shade is where fleas lie in wait for their next victim to pass by.  It is suggested by stuff I read online to apply nematodes to the dampest areas where your pets spend their time.  Obviously, in the summer, it is very likely to be the damp shady places, since the pets do the same things we do and go there to relax and cool off.  Nematodes eat fleas.  I'm not sure about the adults, but they do eat the eggs and larvae.  The fewer that can hatch and reproduce the better.

I learned about this stuff when I did online research on chemical free flea control.

This is also how I learned why we had the fleas during the first heat wave the year we moved into this apartment, even though, this cat is an indoor only cat.  Fleas actually wait for such a moment to hatch, because it is the ideal time to find hosts.  The person who had this apartment before was a bit of a weirdo.  She insisted that some strange biting insect was biting her and her cat but it couldn't be fleas.  I knew it was, but she didn't want to believe me.  She was ESL, but that wasn't the problem.  She was also supposedly superior to all these dumb Americans she got stuck living and surrounded by.  She even thought it was the responsibility of the landlord to spray her apartment.  The last thing I wanted was more toxins in my apartment, so I did my research.  I learned a lot about the flea's life cycle, besides the obvious egg, larvae, pupae, adult that most insects have.  That's when I learned about how the eggs can lie dormant and out of sight until the first heat wave of the year.  If I'm so dumb, why did I get rid of them from my apartment completely and the cat and I haven't been bothered since?
Thanks Furballs I am going to get some of the earth'as I went online and found some info there, my Tweety is itching/scratching more , its only end of Jan but we have hot weather about 85 today and I see all the bugs starting to move .. so I will try the dia- earth stuff will I get it in petsmart?.
You really have to bite the bullet, Margy and get some Frontline or Advantage on Tweety because with her being outdoors, fleas are a fact of life.  It simply is what it is.  Jade hates having it applied too, believe me.  But there are two of us which helps a lot.  I couldn't apply that stuff on my own because her fur needs to be parted with a flea comb to get to her skin.  Your husband won't help??  Sorry to be such a nag about this and I won't say another word about it after this because I'm not sure what I would if I didn't have help.

And just double checking, but you understand the Diatomaceous Earth is NOT to go ON Tweety, right? :)

Furballsmom...Great post!  The whole thing.  Interesting about the Nematodes.  We have a lot of tall grass in the shade...and a heat wave right now :(
Reading thru'  this interesting thread as Diego and I lounge the day away..lol.

My 2 cents worth...I remember when you first got Tweety..and know she is an inside/outside girl.  And a resident of CA.  Think FL has you beat in terms of flea population..lol..not sure, but my point is this...our kitties definitely need treatment if they enjoy the outdoors.  Case closed.

Diego has been on Revolution since his first visit to vet. He does not like to feel it on his neck (if I target the neck usually get it in the vicinity..lol)..but other than that...no big deal.  I have to be stealthy, and use both hands,.but have routine down pat now.  It is much easier as Jade says if you could get dh to hold while you apply or vice versa...

My vet says Revolution is the best for Diego...covers more than fleas..forget what all now.  He has never had a bad reaction...and if I see a flea...treat him every 3 wks.  The only time he has been checked for worms was this week when he needed surgery ...and vet did a thorough exam.

Last word...the critters that bite our cats bring disease/can cause worms as has been mentioned, etc...I figure it is the least I can do for Diego.  (((^.^)))
.

Thanks for chiming in, SG.  I always forget about Revolution.  It's a relatively new product and a very good one at that.  PrettyKitty1 used it on her cats with great results.  I've read some reviews and there are claims of less side effects, and doesn't seem to leave that greasy residue.  Besides fleas, it covers ticks and heart worms I *think* all in one.  So glad you brought this up.  I ordered from 800Petmeds last time, and while this is a little more expensive, I'm going to try it when the time comes.  

Maybe give this a go, Margy.  I know most of the problem is getting it on Tweety, but you also mention she suffers side effects, so this might be the answer.  Ok, NOW, case closed! :)
Thanks for all the information guys I am off to Petsmart shortly for front line..
I just sent you a note.  You have to buy Frontline from your VET.  This is NOT sold OTC.  Good luck, Margy, you're doing great!  I know this is super stressful, but you're doing the best thing for Tweety. :)
Ok, Frontline and Advantage ARE sold OTC here.  I found out I've been passing wrong information.  I don't know where I got the idea only a Vet sold it.  Ugh...  
Thats okay Jade ..easily done ...well I put frontline on her 24 hours ago...she is still scratching/itching..I was doing some research and heard about Capstar ,havent got it yet waiting to see what happens with the frontline ..I looked up her paperwork and I see she is due for a check up,I may hold out and then get that done early .I hate to see her in such an itchy mess ..today I have spent most day cleaning and washing YUCK  to make sure old fleas aren't anywhere, thanks for your help everyone I haven't had fleas around before send me messages with tips I need it .  .
I would love to get info on what spices you grow  for the cats to nibble on..Thanks very much
Sue