Cats Community

Megacolon in cats

This isn't really a question but if my post can help even one cat/dog owner with this disease it will be worth it.  I have a cat with megacolan, Toonces, that's his name.  We had the surgery but it is back.  There is no other surgery available, the next step is to have him put down.  He has been in three times since his surgery a couple of years ago to be evacuated.  We switched vets a year or so ago because one of our cats died at the hands of our vet.  We just couldn't bring ourselves to return.  We questioned our vet's handling of his treatment.  Anyway ths could turn into a very long story but my focus here is to help pet owners with cats with megacolon.  We used a laxative that I cant remember the name of but it was a prescription that is for people and animals.  He had to have 3-5 ml shoved down his throat a couple of times a day, in addition I had to shoot a pill down his throat with a straw and he had to have fiber added to his food.  It was horrible and none of it worked very well.  Our new vet was young and fresh out of vet school and recommended Miralax.  I add about 1/4 tsp to some tuna, tuna juice or a couple tablespoons of wet food once a day.  It gives him some loose stinky stools but it is so simple and it works.  He also has some pretty bad gas.  Toonces is alive and doing pretty darn well for over a year now without being evacuated even once.  We may not have even had to have the surgery had we known about this.  We had the surgery because we were putting him through hell every day.  I think it was called laxatone or something like that and the pill was over the counter but I don't remember the name of it either.   If you have a cat or dog with this disease talk to your vet.  I don't know how it works on a dog but if your vet says no ask another vet.  I don't know what dose you would give a dog but I'm sure it would be fine for them if it's ok for a cat.  I just don't know for sure about giving it to a dog.  It has been a life saver, literally.  If I miss giving it to him even once his stool will begin to harden and they are huge.  I can't imagine passing a stool as big as he has had to so don't miss a dose.  You might be able to adjust it to a smaller amount so that it is not so runny.  I really hope if you are considering surgery or giving your cat a bunch of other stuff...try this, even if you have to try it against your vets wishes.  Just make sure it doesn't conflict with any other medications.  If you have to, call my vet and tell them I recommended you call them.  Her name is Dr. Martin at Adobe Veterinary in Tucson Arizona.  Please let me know if this has helped even one person.  Thank you for taking the time to read this... you won't be sorry, I'm sure of it..
Our 11yr old cat has always been on dry cat food & was diagnosed with mega colon a month ago. Our vet immediately put her on Polyethylene Glycol - I was told to go to Walmart - laxative section - and buy either Restorlax or Lax A Day and give her a 1/4 tsp mixed in with 1 TBLS canned cat food and continue her regular dry food.

The Vet explained that as cats get older, as humans, their digestive system changes and they need additives to help get their systems moving.  Our cat again has her morning burst of energy and tears around the house.

Our vet also said that a sign of mega colon/bladder infection is that your cat begins to lick the hair off their belly, then the back of their back legs and then their back.  The mega colon often causes a bladder infection because their colon is so full that they can not empty their bladder.
COMMUNITY LEADER
restorlax is the Canadian equiv. of miralax...
both have PEG as the ingredient.....and this isn't good for long term use.

also can I add the BEST thing you can do for kitty carolyn is to STOP the dry food totally, canned food has 78% moisture where dry only has 10-12%. and lack of moisture is one of the leading causes of constipation/bladder crystals for starters...

also add a teaspoon of canned pumpkin(pure pumpkin NOT the pie filling)  to the food, its an excellent source of soluble fiber. 10mg of powdered Vit C is also a good laxative.

best of luck ♥
Hi, thanks for sharing the info about Miralax!!  My vet wants me to try this on my cat that's dealing w/ occasional constipation.  I've been a bit hesitant, so your post has really boosted my confidence and I will probably go out and get some.  

I'm so sorry that the surgery didn't work for your cat, but very happy that you found a great product that works.  I hope you have many many more happy, healthy years w/ your kitty!!

ZQ
I don't know about the issue with long term use of miralax but zodiacqueen especially for ocassional constipation, I think you will be hardpressed to find anything as good.  My cat has been on it daily 1/4 tsp, for a couple of years now, so far, no problems unless he doesn't get it.  The alternative for him is death.  He is a bit gassy and lays on his back to help with this but all I know is my Toonces would not be alive today if it weren't for mirilax.  I have given him a total of three extra years of life so far.  If the Miralax stops working then I will cross that bridge when I get there but he is happy, loving and I can't be more pleased with my vets recommendation to use it. If you want to follow me I will post ocassionally about how Toonces is doing.  He is seven years old now and was 3 when he was first diagnosed so were doing ok.  I have seven cats so if anyone has questions about anything I think I have seen it all.  I'm not a vet but I have been through a lot with my babies.  Goodluck Carolyn and Zodiacqueen and anyone else who has any problems with constipation in your cat.
COMMUNITY LEADER
well thats great if you've found something that works for Toonces problems, if its working and there are no problems than don't upset the cart.....have you also tried the canned pumpkin added to his can food?...works wonders with one of mine(not the other).
7 cats OMG lady you have a houseful and a wealth of knowledge that we'd appreciate you sharing....we are all cat lovers here who try our best for these little critters and anytime you can jump in and offer someone some suggestions we'd appreciate the input.....plus keep us updated on Toonce too.....welcome by all means ♥Opus
Opus88
I tried everything for Toonces, yes pumpkin included....fiber in cats with megacolon is tricky, it can sometimes absorb the water thus leading to even more constipation. Wet food over dry food is better but then you have to try and brush their teeth or give a few greenies (if you can afford it) to help with the teeth. Also try and brush your cats, even if you think they have short hair and don't need it, it's not true, if you don't brush your cats they can develop hairballs that cannot be passed.  In cats with megacolon or chronic constipation the last thing you need is something else to block your cat.  Like you all know I have 7 cats and I manage to brush them all, even if its a little bit every few days.  In older cats their joints ache like ours and they have a harder time cleaning themselves, give them a little help, I use wipes that are unscented, alcohol free and are fine to use on a baby's face, nevermind spending a bunch of money on petwipes.  If you have a cat that doesn't like being brushed, try and wipe their furr, that will get some of the hair.  If that doesn't work and they like being petted, dampin your hands and brush with your hands, you'll be surprised how much hair you get.  Catnip flavored petromalt can help hair pass easier too.  Anyway, thats all for now.  Hope this helps.