Aa
A
A
A
Close
Cats Community
4.01k Members

My Cat is Stumbling and acting off

Hello I've had a issue with my cat since last night. He was fine yesterday when i let him out for a couple of hours but when he came back 3 hours or so later he came back stumbling having issues walking as if he was drunk. No scratches or injuries that i could see but he wasn't acting normal and was stumbling everywhere. I took him to the Vet and the first thing he said was there's a good chance he got into some anti freeze or something. He ran the test and he showed up clean. He suggested theirs s a list of other things they could check for other poisons and  procedures to clean his system out. He thought it was still some sort of toxin or something neurological. I wanted to do these treatments but it was going to cost $1000.00 to do. I couldn't afford to pay him so i asked if there was anything he could do and he suggested he could give him a charcoal treatment to absorb anything he might have gotten into for good measure.
Today hes still very stumble y, doesn't seem to want to eat or drink, and i noticed his eyes are rolling back in his head and you can see his white eye lids taking up the bottom of his eyes. He did manage to make it to the kitty litter this morning but still doesn't want water or food.

Does these symptoms ring any bells to anyone?

6 Responses
506791 tn?1439846583
Possible stroke?  Cats do get them, had to put down our Calamity Jane after she went through a pair of strokes.  Was recovering nicely from the first one with a treatment the vet recommended, but the second was just too massive.
I did end up just putting it on my credit card ill deal with that later. Just noticed as i was bringing him to the vet he seems to be leaning to the right a lot as well. All ways seems to be falling on that side specifically and his heads all ways tilting a bit to the right.
587315 tn?1333556383
You can take him to a low cost vet clinic like the humane society/SPCA.  They offer lower cost services.  Please call your local branch today.  Your cat needs help.  This can't be put off.

This does sound like a possible stroke or head injury.  Could he have gotten hit by a car or exposed to any toxins?
506791 tn?1439846583
Miss Calamity kind of curled and tended to go to her left after the first stroke.
11105290 tn?1437846133
It also could be vestibular syndrome, which my cat had and the systems are similar, but why he would get it after being outside would just be a coincidence because it is a disease that just comes on spontaneously. The good news is it clears up on its own after 7-14 days. But that is just a guess and shouldn't preclude getting him checked out. Good luck.
7052683 tn?1392942395
So JK, are you saying you put  the $1,000 on your credit card to have tests run on him?  If so please let us know what you find out.

CareCredit is a great credit program for vet expenses . Check to see if your vet takes this. If not and he needs more tests take him somewhere that does take this credit---It will allow you to cover the many tests that need to be done, with a small amount to pay off each month.

Good Luck!
CML
Have an Answer?
Top Cats Answerers
874521 tn?1424120397
Canada..., SK
506791 tn?1439846583
Saint Mary's County, MD
242912 tn?1402547092
CA
740516 tn?1360946086
Brazil
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child